Is this crazy?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:52 AM
N/A
Default Re: Is this crazy?!

That's true, the '08 model year credit went up from $1950 to $2200 on 4WD and from $2600 to $3000 on FWD.

Regular production of '08 Escapes started about January 24. I heard that fleet production had already started by then. Mine was actually ordered as "fleet" in error and arrived in Denver on about February 8 or 9. I bought it March 3.

They built a lot of hybrids at first. I heard it was because there was a significant stockpile of the 2nd gen battery packs and they wanted to get them out of inventory. Back in early February when I started looking, nearly every local dealer had one or two. Some had several. Almost no one had any gas models yet. Two dealers had ordered for fleets and already had a dozen or more basic white FEHs awaiting fleet delivery.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Terry, I think you meant to say "1st generation battery packs" in your post. And be careful of verbage also.

Changing a resistor, management software, battery pack shape, or cooling fan arrangement does NOT make it a second generation battery pack.

( You might call it generation 1 version 2 )

Only a MAJOR change, such as in battery chemistry, or watt-hours of storage qualifies as a "new generation" battery. So far, I have not heard of any change like this.

And when it comes to these battery packs, there is no stockpile of anything!

Old 11-15-2007, 12:32 PM
N/A

No, I meant to say 2nd generation. Ford and the battery maker (Sanyo) have used that terminology repeatedly in published reports.

>>

Maybe you missed my post about this information here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...v-world-15891/

<<

Sanyo says the 2008 FEH battery is new and calls it "Generation 2", and has detailed the differences. Ford describe the entire '08 drive system as "2nd Generation" but I've avoided using that term for the overall system. The software and controls are significantly different, and the battery is changed, but it's mechanically almost identical. I don't feel comfortable calling it Generation 2 Drive since it's not mechanically new.

Ford and Sanyo say it's new stuff and that's good enough for me. These are their words, not mine, so you should take your argument up with them.

As for inventory, when the switchover to the 2008 model was happening in late 2006 and January of 2007, Ford did in fact build up a stock of hybrid battery packs. This is from someone who works at the KCAP and is in a position to literally see them. A rather large number of hybrids were produced initially with these parts. Several thousand, to be specific, between January and March 2007. Once they were depleted and battery inventory returned to a near JIT delivery status (due to the well-documented supply issues last spring) hybrid production slowed significantly.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:26 PM

Terry, maybe you missed reading this thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ry-pack-15974/

Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM
N/A

No, I already saw all that. Bottom line, the battery and propulsion controls in the 2008 are different than in previous generations. Ford calls the whole system Generation 2 but each of us can call it whatever we want.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 PM

True, and fair enough. You and some media outlets may call the 2008 the 2nd generation battery. Sounds like Ford has made improvements, but is stopping just short of that.
-John

Old 11-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would agree with John (gpsman1) as this is more of a marketing tool than anything. The percent of change related to software indicates this. I would not be surprised if those of us who had the Hybrid Battery recalled service performed, have most of this change in our vehicles. Auto companies have a long history of using advertising in an attempt to create sales.

When plug in hybrid batteries arrive, that will be a true change.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 AM
N/A

That's a healthy skepticism. However, this information has not been used in sales or marketing. Media outlets do not call it "2nd Generation". It did not come from a press release. The system was described that way by the Ford engineer who oversaw its design. From a marketing standpoint Ford did not use this, but has just said they "made revisions" to the software and the regen brakes.

The "2nd Generation" designation is used internally at Ford to describe the differences between the '08 system versus the earlier models. The "2nd Generation" battery is what Sanyo calls their modified battery design as used in the '08. There are some specific design differences and control changes, over and above the software upgrade that we all think is responsible for the differences between the two versions.

I posted that interview because I personally thought it was really interesting to hear specifics about this vehicle from the people who actually did the work. I have not talked to the guy, but I don't question his motives or that he knows what he's talking about.