Coolant level question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 01:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Coolant level question

I was topping off my MECS coolant today and noticed the following in the manual in reference to the engine coolant: "The level of coolant should be maintained at the “FULL COLD” level or within the “COLD FILL RANGE” in the coolant reservoir. Where's the FULL COLD level? I think mine is usually above the COLD FILL RANGE.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Coolant level question

The "Cold Fill Range" for the engine coolant (front reservoir) is right there in the picture, with the "dirty" lettering, just behind that A/C port (I'm pretty sure that's what it is) just below the big seam between the two halves of the reservoir. So if that pic. was taken with the engine cold, you are a little bit overfilled. I don't think that's a problem but check again when the engine is hot and you might have to drain a little. Here is the page of the manual for my car (2010) it's a little clearer.

Cold Fill Coolant Ranges - Engine and M/E Reservoirs, 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid

Last edited by AlexK; 05-12-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

I see what you're referring to. I was confused by the reference to the "FULL COLD" level which I don't see on the tank. I guess that's just something they left in the manual that applied to different coolant tanks on different models.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tommyball
I see what you're referring to. I was confused by the reference to the "FULL COLD" level which I don't see on the tank. I guess that's just something they left in the manual that applied to different coolant tanks on different models.
Yeah their wording is a little obtuse. The "FULL COLD" really means the line on the reservoir at the top of the "COLD FILL RANGE".