Updating SYNC/NAV system maps 2010 FEH Limited

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 04:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Updating SYNC/NAV system maps 2010 FEH Limited

I use the MAP and Navigation functions on the '10 Limited FEH mostly for fun, but occasionally for serious, to see where I am, etc. and I'm pretty sure the maps have never been updated. I know from recent experience that the maps in my car are old; some roads just aren't there or have obviously changed since the system was new.

There is a screen where they list Ford Customer Service numbers and other relevant info. about updating the maps. Phone numbers, a few serial numbers, etc., including some cryptic system numbers and stuff for the Sirius satellite system.

Has anyone tried it? I would like to update the maps if it's still possible. Do you just call the number and give Ford the info. and then turn on the car, hit a few buttons and wait for the system to update? Do they send you a CD/DVD or something?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:53 PM
Default Re: Updating SYNC/NAV system maps 2010 FEH Limited

I think I just answered my own question by RTFM. It looks like you go to www.navteq.com and order the $150 update collection.

https://ford.navigation.com/product/..._US/FordNA/USD

The current version is 11.0 and they say it's the last of the line for this car and current as of 2019.

That's pretty steep for something that's already two years out of date. I'm not anti-payment for things like this but c'mon, it's already two years old.

If anyone has one for sale less expensively, or knows a link on eBay or somesuch I'd love to know. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by AlexK; 05-05-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by AlexK
I think I just answered my own question by RTFM. It looks like you go to www.navteq.com and order the $150 update collection.

https://ford.navigation.com/product/..._US/FordNA/USD

The current version is 11.0 and they say it's the last of the line for this car and current as of 2019.

That's pretty steep for something that's already two years out of date. I'm not anti-payment for things like this but c'mon, it's already two years old.

If anyone has one for sale less expensively, or knows a link on eBay or somesuch I'd love to know. Feel free to PM me.
I purchased Version 10.0 a few years ago and 11.0 last week. The upgrade is for one vehicle only and only works in the vehicle for which it was ordered. You have to supply your unit's application number when you order it and you are supplied with an activation code unique to your vehicle and maps. I just updated the nav maps in my Lexus as well...$210 for the 2020 version.

Last edited by GatorJ; 05-05-2021 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You might be able to find a torrent version of the map update. I saw a few floating around but I only used igo and garmin. Never have I paid for a map, much less $150. This all has put a damper on trying to buy the oem navigation display and install it. Supposedly there is a free update for the sync function itself. Myself, I don't use it. Went in to forscan module editing and turned off "cellular phone module", hopefully this car has no cell phone radio. Might do the same to the sirius as that's the other option you can disable.

For under $200 they have double din android and wince radios with navigation and even backup camera if you want.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:17 PM

Thanks GatorJ. I wouldn't think the price was too high except that they're out of date already. C'mon Ford, offer us a closeout price on the remaining inventory. I'll pay $75.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
For under $200 they have double din android and wince radios with navigation and even backup camera if you want.
Thanks for the suggestion. Already have the backup camera on this car, it works great (I have to do the rear glass hatch weatherstripping to keep it working). And the NAV system is good - it's well integrated, intuitive, and it works, it's just out of date. Basically it works well except it chooses suboptimal routes sometimes because it doesn't know the latest changes in the roads, particularly in semirural areas. I like the voice annunciation on the system, it tells you turn by turn, beeps at almost the exact location of the turn, you can store a lot of destinations, etc. It's a good system, I just wish it was a little easier and cheaper to update, since there aren't any more coming for this car.

I'd rather keep the car as close to factory as possible. The premium sound in mine with the subwoofer is good enough, it's not audiophile quality or hip-hop nation wattage but it does equally well with classical, jazz and of course some Metallica and the occasional Quiet Riot. The basic NVH on this car make it kind of silly to spend any more on a better sounding system.

I heard this yesterday through it, at a decent volume level it sounded great, even over the FM radio. I don't turn it up to 11 any more, my hearing has been damaged enough over the years.

I wouldn't do a "torrent update" even if one was available that worked. It's theft, it's not "sharing."

Last edited by AlexK; 05-06-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:45 PM

If you like it, you like it. I know how that is. Igo is my favorite as it lets you avoid roads whlie driving. So if the highway is end to end traffic or you know a better way you can tell it to not take the "fastest" route crawling at 10mph. My garmin will just try to route you the way it thinks is "best".

A lot of these systems are also based on a commercial navigation app and just skinned. That may be another avenue to get maps more up to date than they sell. I've used old ones before due to availability or lazness and the main problem was always new construction. It sucks being routed onto closed or non existant roads, etc. Plus adding speed/red lght camera alerts has saved my butt, i've never had stock so hope it's got that.

I'm thinking of going the android "radio" route in my situation. Is that supposed to kill the sub or speakers? Aren't they just regular connections. I don't need it to be loud, just sound ok. Hooking up OBD to the radio via BT would be the bigger goal.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by AlexK
Thanks GatorJ. I wouldn't think the price was too high except that they're out of date already. C'mon Ford, offer us a closeout price on the remaining inventory. I'll pay $75.
The latest maps for the CD based Nav systems such as was used in my '06 FEH were made in 2007. I drove that vehicle until 2018 and the staleness of the maps was rarely an issue. At least in the Tampa Bay area, the overwhelming majority of road construction is widening or improving existing roads, not building new ones.

BTW, if you press the "Information" button on your head unit and then select "System Information" it will list your map version.

Last edited by GatorJ; 05-12-2021 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
You might be able to find a torrent version of the map update. I saw a few floating around but I only used igo and garmin. Never have I paid for a map, much less $150. This all has put a damper on trying to buy the oem navigation display and install it. Supposedly there is a free update for the sync function itself. Myself, I don't use it. Went in to forscan module editing and turned off "cellular phone module", hopefully this car has no cell phone radio. Might do the same to the sirius as that's the other option you can disable.

Not going to work. This isn't like updating a Garmin Nuvi.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:56 AM

I've seen it done on other cars but I've only had stand alone navigation units. The sync system just runs on windows CE. Subarus used iGo and people were cracking/updating it no problem. I even used their map update pieces for my own gps. Sync had a whole thread on XDA developers forum but alas I have no navigation screen.

staleness of the maps was rarely an issue
It fully depends on where you live. I had problems in IL and WI. Right now I have problems downtown Chicago. Please enter 90/94... well all the onramps are closed.

Quick Reply: Updating SYNC/NAV system maps 2010 FEH Limited

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands