Climate controls not functioning & at idle they kill the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Climate controls not functioning & at idle they kill the car

I just bought a 2008 escape hybrid and the havoc worked for the first couple days , after a huge rainstorm they don't turn anything on. All lights work except the little power ones and the heads up display does not come on either nor does the rear defroster work. I am driving across country now with no heat and no defroster and no ac ! I checked all interior fuses and nothing. When parked in hybrid electric mode if you turn the dial on either side the vehicle will shut off! This is my first hybrid and I need a lot of help! Any ideas!! Dealership that I called thinks ac compressor is seized, but why would display not work or heat?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Default Re: Climate controls not functioning & at idle they kill the car

If the compressor was seized, the belt would make a lot of noise and burn through. It sounds like a grounding or electrical problem to me. Check all your grounds especially the PCM ground and swap these 5 relays around that are all the same to see if anything changes: http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36

Other than that, you need to take it to a dealer to identify the problem.

GaryG

Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Enthusiast

Gary -
Thanks for the reply. Since leaving Amarillo Texas, I started thinking about what the dealer said and came to the same conclusion myself about the ac seizing up. I checked my under hood fuses and found the cover to be loosely fitted and found one fuse blown. I pulled one relay as well and they are really corrode in there. Took serious pulling to free them up.

The heater came on for about 2 hours today then went back off. I am starting to think It might be tied to the ignition switch, since I have seen the heads up display come on twice right after I start the vehicle . I will be scheduling a diagnostic in Oregon when I get back. Now to find a good dealer.

Oh well, the good price and the fact that I am averaging 30.2 mpg at an average speed of 74 mph makes me feel a little better about the issues...so far!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:06 AM

If the cover was loose and any of the relays were corroded, more than likely that's the area of the problem. The cost of those relays is around $13, so stop by an auto store and get one. You can swap one at a time starting with 001 (power sustain relay) and 002 (PCM power relay) to see if your problem is solved. The other relays are 003 (injector relay), 004 (heater pump relay) and 005 (ME pump relay) which I don't think would cause the problems your having.

Moisture with rain or being close to the ocean is not good with a loose cover.

GaryG

Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast

Well I made it back to Oregon from Mississippi and put close to 2800 miles on the Escape in just over 3 days! The car really surprised me for how peppy it is, bt the HVAC system came on and off during the entire trip. Also the stereo head up display does the same thing at the same time as the HVAC. I will start checking the relays when I am done with the work week, I am also going to get a new cover for the relays and use some di-electric grease to keep them from sticking and prevent moisture.

then to the dealer... I just need to find a good HYBRID TEch in Oregon.