Certification of Hybrid for Tax Credit

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Certification of Hybrid for Tax Credit

Hey Guys,
Just bought my 06 FEH and love it. Also love this space, it has been so helpful and helped avoid "buyers remorse" like most people have a few days after buying a new car. I have a question about the certification from Ford about the tax credit. I was told by my the salesman that it would come from Ford directly, but after reviewing some IRS websites it says that it will be provided by the dealership. So now I am wondering if I need to go back to the dealership for it or if it will show up in the mail. How has everyone else received theirs?

Old 08-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Certification of Hybrid for Tax Credit

I just got a 2007 and was wondering the same thing. The dealer didn't offer any info and I am also wondering how this works.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

If it works like my HCH I bought a couple years ago it will just be based on DMV registration. The VIN number registered in your name with DMV should take care of it.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just got my 2007 FEH as well. It's great we just need the VIN. How do you enter this on your 1040? And, do tax programs like Turbo Tax know about the Hybrid tax break?

Old 08-02-2006, 06:33 PM
reformed speed demon

yes, turbo tax does have a line hidden in there somewhere for the hybrids. a friend did my taxes this year and he managed to track down the rather vague entry line. i don't remember if we had to enter the VIN number anywhere on the forms...i don't think we did. maybe each state is a little different for this.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is actually a form that you fill out and include when you file your taxes. Form 8910

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8910.pdf

Vehicles are already certified when listed by the IRS on their site (the 06 escape is listed). The form has a "date in service" which they will presumably compare to mfg reported sales figures to determine if the quota was reached. It won't be for the Escape unless something changes.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks guys for such a quick response! I'm going to look for this line in TT next year, but printed out the pdf from the IRS just in case.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:33 AM

Here's the link to the general IRS News release ....

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...157632,00.html

Here's the link to the IRS News release specifically about 2007 FEH and the MMH being certified.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...159156,00.html

Last edited by WaltPA; 08-03-2006 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast

I notice that on the IRS web site that the 2005 Escape is not on the list of those vehicles certified for the federal tax credit. The 2006 and 2007 models are on the IRS list. What happens if I bought a 2005 model in 2006? Do I get the federal tax credit?

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:27 AM

If you look under the list of 2005 hybrids (and there is a list), the FEH isn't there. So, I bet, you can't claim the new tax credit.

Quick Reply: Certification of Hybrid for Tax Credit

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands