Ceramic brakes OK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Ceramic brakes OK?

Hello,
I have a 2009 FEH with 43,000 miles on it. My brakes are fine, but I would like to replace them with ceramic pads when the time comes--does anybody have experience with these?

I live in the flat land of northern OH, and I drive conservatively, so I don't need big-time stopping power. I'm looking forward to low dust. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Default Re: Ceramic brakes OK?

Originally Posted by mustangbob
Hello,
I have a 2009 FEH with 43,000 miles on it. My brakes are fine, but I would like to replace them with ceramic pads when the time comes--does anybody have experience with these?

I live in the flat land of northern OH, and I drive conservatively, so I don't need big-time stopping power. I'm looking forward to low dust. Thanks in advance!
Hi Bob

I drive conservatively also and have no dust ever on my '09 FEH with 30,000 miles. Hypermilers call it DWOB (driving without brakes), but we all need to use our brakes at some point to stop.

When I see rims on a car with brake dust build-up, I know that car has a heavy brake driver with low MPG. Learn how to hypermile and never replace your brakes as long as you own your car is my advise. I don't ever expect my '09 FEH will ever need a change in pads or drum linings as long as I drive it. This is a regenerative brake vehicle, use it Bob!

GaryG

Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast

I just replaced my front bake pads on FEH 2009, and they are still good. There is only a little difference against the new ones. So, I just replaced the one with the hook on it that goes to that piston thing that presses the brake pads, LOL! Mine was at 107K miles, surprisingly. Take that feet out of the pedal and take it easy on the brakes, you save gas & brakes.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Hi Bob

When I see rims on a car with brake dust build-up, I know that car has a heavy brake driver with low MPG. Learn how to hypermile and never replace your brakes as long as you own your car is my advise. I don't ever expect my '09 FEH will ever need a change in pads or drum linings as long as I drive it. This is a regenerative brake vehicle, use it Bob!

GaryG
Not entirely true. Dust is mostly caused because asbestos brake pads which worked great with very little dust(none are dust free) are outlawed and some use very soft pads that wear fast to cover up other issues. That dust can ruin mag wheels if you leave it on for extended periods.