Catalytic Converter Theft

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Catalytic Converter Theft

We just had the underbody catalytic converter stolen from our 2007 FEH. Thankfully the Ford Escape has a dual catalytic converter, a “light off” cat near the exhaust manifold and the underbody one; the underbody one isn’t all that valuable. I found a replacement on RockAuto for around $140. But it was still a major hassle and unfortunately it’s a common problem in our neighborhood. I am wondering about installing some sort of deterrent to prevent this from happening in the future. I've found "cat cages" online, but they cost more than the underbody cat itself and probably just as much labor to install as replacing one underbody cat. I'm considering rigging something up with a chain and padlock. Has anyone here installed some sort of cat theft deterrence measure on their FEH?

Another option, which I will consider if this happens again, is to install a straight pipe and eliminate the underbody cat. I do want to be conscious of creating more air pollution (this is part of why we bought a hybrid), but how much does the underbody cat really contribute to emission reductions when there is the other light-off cat? The oxygen sensors monitor the light-off cat, so it seems like the PCM wouldn’t complain about the underbody cat being missing, and Washington State discontinued emissions testing, so it’s really tempting given the cat theft problem here. Has anyone gone this route? Any performance or fuel efficiency concerns?

I’ve looked through the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual and Workshop Manual; they mention the existence of both catalytic converters, but there is no discussion about what each one does or the chemical reactions involved in each. In the Seattle area, we do not have a problem with CO and NOx pollution, but there are ozone and PM concerns on some days. Of course, the wildfire smoke that has been lingering here recently is way worse than our collective vehicle emissions…

Also FYI, a non-hybrid Escape of 2009-2012 vintage that parks on our block had its underbody cat stolen about the same time. I took a peek underneath that one and it seemed to have a pretty similar exhaust configuration as my 2007 hybrid.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Theft

It's happening more frequently and unfortunately I think the "buzz" about it happening is actually generating more scumbags who want to try it, in a positive feedback loop of grief.

Check out this website and video by FTM. He has a countermeasure. In this particular example, the thieves actually stole the ---===<<< resonator >>>===--- not the catalyst. Still an expensive repair for the owner, but not as bad as the converter. And the thieves must have been very surprised when they tried to fence it. FTM's video is embedded in the article, it's current as of September:

https://fordauthority.com/2022/09/fo...nverter-video/

It's too bad we don't have Smith & Wesson catalytic converters that can shoot back.

You're in Seattle and like other semi-large to majorly large cities, a lot of the time there is no place "good" to park. I had this problem when I lived in Chicago - not with the catalytic converters, though, just smash 'n grab. Now the various zombies are sporting power tools.

One problem I thought of with removing the underbody cat was: "does it have a downstream O2 sensor after the 2nd catalyst?" Take it out and the car might develop fuel trim problems because it can't measure the true effectiveness of the exhaust system as it was designed to be managed by the computer. HOWEVER my 2011 shop manual for the 2.5L hybrid does not show a separate, downstream O2 sensor, just the first one near the first catalyst. So it might not hurt anything from the computer's point of view to remove it, but the car won't be as "green" and may not pass inspection. Tough call. Maybe someone else knows more.

Good luck and safe travels.

Last edited by AlexK; 10-18-2022 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexK
It's too bad we don't have Smith & Wesson catalytic converters that can shoot back.
Ha! I was contemplating if there might be a way to connect the steel plate surrounding the cat directly to the high voltage battery. Could be some technical challenges with this though.
Originally Posted by AlexK

One problem I thought of with removing the underbody cat was: "does it have a downstream O2 sensor after the 2nd catalyst?" Take it out and the car might develop fuel trim problems because it can't measure the true effectiveness of the exhaust system as it was designed to be managed by the computer. HOWEVER my 2011 shop manual for the 2.5L hybrid does not show a separate, downstream O2 sensor, just the first one near the first catalyst. So it might not hurt anything from the computer's point of view to remove it, but the car won't be as "green" and may not pass inspection. Tough call. Maybe someone else knows more.
I came to the same conclusion from looking though the manuals and inspecting the exhaust system. There are two O2 sensors on either side of the first catalyst near the exhaust manifold, but none past the second catalyst. Also can confirm that the computer issued no complaints on the dash when I drove my FEH about 7 miles to the shop without the lower cat to have the replacement installed. (I like that I have found a shop that is cool with me finding my own parts and bringing them in, saves a lot of money in situations like this.)

Here's an interesting tidbit about driving my FEH around with the muffler disconnected: In addition to the overall ridiculousness of driving a loud hybrid with its erratic vrooming, it emits a loud pop noise like a backfire every time the ICE kicks on from EV mode while accelerating.

Last edited by zeerok; 10-29-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

you got a ricer now

Old 10-29-2022, 01:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zeerok
Here's an interesting tidbit about driving my FEH around with the muffler disconnected: In additional to the overall ridiculousness of driving a loud hybrid with its erratic vrooming, it emits a loud pop noise like a backfire every time the ICE kicks on from EV mode while accelerating.
This was a very cool video linked by @10Terp in the "2022 Ford Maverick Pickup WOW" thread.

When the engine first starts, the heated O2 sensor near at the primary catalyst actually serves as an ignition source to burn extra gas and air to get that catalyst "lit" as fast as possible! It's a feature, not a bug, at least while the engine is running in "open loop" until the catalyst heats up!

Last edited by AlexK; 10-29-2022 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:38 AM
Enthusiast

Probably the reason Ford would sell the hybrid maverick at a loss, is you have to meet CAFE standards for light duty trucks. Every hybrid maverick helps ford avoid buying credits while continuing to sell F150's at a massive profit. Ive seen other OEMs do something similar, sell a hybrid at break even or a loss to be able to sell more profitable trucks.

snaptube vidmate

Last edited by Alisad; 02-14-2023 at 06:54 AM.