Best way to charge and test OEM NiMH battery sticks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Best way to charge and test OEM NiMH battery sticks?

I just rebuilt my '09 FEH HVTB with all new cells from MaxPower. I now have 50 OEM sticks that I'd like to sell on eBay to recover part of the expense, if possible. Obviously, I only want to sell known good sticks.

What is the most cost effective way to properly test and charge these sticks? Equipment? Recommended procedure? Thank you.

Old 12-25-2023, 08:57 PM
Default Re: Best way to charge and test OEM NiMH battery sticks?

Unfortunately, there's no fast or easy way to do it now that they're out of the pack. Ideally, you would have grid charged them for about 30 hours at 350mA with cooling. This would ensure that all 50 sticks were at true 100%.

Then let them sit for at least 30 days. Record all 50 voltages and identify any outliers. Assuming you had any good sticks, all good sticks would be those within the top 0.02V or so. Below that, they are likely bad-ish or bad. Use the voltage ranges to place them in bins.

This is the best method because all sticks are X days from their last full charge.

You could also need to pierce the shrink with voltmeter probes to check each individual cell looking for outliers in the various bins.

Lastly, you would discharge samples from each bin to characterize the results and then go where the data leads you.

Something to be avoided is cycling the sticks. This inevitably gives a false representation of a stick's quality. These Sanyo cells can be cycled to achieve impressive results. The one constant is that these results will not be long lasting. It's the uncycled behavior that really gives a strong indication of a stick's quality and longevity.

Lastly, it comes down to how much $ and time are you willing to invest? The challenge is no different than trying to rebuild one's own pack... how to identify the good and bad sticks. It's not a trivial effort.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:22 AM

I appreciate the response. I apparently didn't word my question well. I was trying to ask about charging individual sticks, not en masse.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:42 AM

I gave you the answer to the question you should have asked, and I asked you a question - how much $ and time are you willing to spend?

Old 01-07-2024, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think if you mount it yourself you gonna face problems that you would spend more money than taking it to a professional

Last edited by chima lecci; 01-08-2024 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by chima lecci
I think if you mount it yourself you gonna face problems that you would spend more money than taking it to a professional

My HVTB has been completely rebuilt with new battery sticks from MaxPower. This thread was in reference to the old, original sticks removed from my battery.