Batteries 1/2 the weight?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Lt. Green 06 FEH
Default Batteries 1/2 the weight?

I'm hoping by the time I need to replace my battery pack (06 FEH) that somethiing newer, lighter and more powerful will be available as a "drop-in replacment". (ie li-ion, A123, M1 - all the same I think, etc...)
Anyone given any thought to how much this will improve the overall MPG? - given the weight and power differences? Just curious for you Engineering/Physics types out there....

Old 01-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Batteries 1/2 the weight?

I can't imagine weight would make a difference. The whole pack is only a couple hundred pounds so cutting it in half would have little effect on mileage. The real difference would probably be in the size/power ratio. In other words, a battery of equal size and weight but with far more power.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

That depends on how many cells you want.
1 LiIon cell has 'about' the same power as 1 NiMH cell.

However, it has 1/2 the weight as you said.
Also, LiION lose less energy to heat when they charge/discharge and they can take a deeper discharge, for more cycles. Also due to this, you can do away with the A/C cooling system in the back to make room for more cells.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

By the time your traction batteries are 'dead', the rest of the truck should be near the end of its service life (150,000+ miles).

So far upgrading batteries isn't plug n' play, the retrofit/upgrade kits we have now ($30,000+) also involve changing electronics. Who knows, maybe there will be DIY upgrades in the future. I can't imagine strong demand to keep high mileage Escape hybrids on the road. The CVTs will be expensive to replace since they aren't a Ford part.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

Originally Posted by D-mac
By the time your traction batteries are 'dead', the rest of the truck should be near the end of its service life (150,000+ miles).

So far upgrading batteries isn't plug n' play, the retrofit/upgrade kits we have now ($30,000+) also involve changing electronics. Who knows, maybe there will be DIY upgrades in the future. I can't imagine strong demand to keep high mileage Escape hybrids on the road. The CVTs will be expensive to replace since they aren't a Ford part.

Actually, I would want to replace them before then to gain the MPG.... But after reading the inputs (thanks folks) it would seem a moot point.

Who makes the CVT?