Backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Backup camera

Has anyone installed a backup camera on their MMH or FEH? I picked up one of the VR3 wireless backup cameras off of e-bay pretty cheap and have decided to give it a shot. I think I am going to mount the camera to the underside of my hitch so it is more descrete. I believe I am going to mount the screen on it's pedestal on the flat portion of the time & temperature area on the dash. I will post pics up when I get it finished if anyone is interested.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Backup camera

Jmorton I believe has one integrated into his Eclipse DVD/Nav headunit.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

I saw his. It looks great. I wonder if you could wire up some RCAs to the factory radio and plug in a camera?

Old 09-16-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 08Mariner
I saw his. It looks great. I wonder if you could wire up some RCAs to the factory radio and plug in a camera?
Extremely doubtful. First there would have to be an RCA video in, which I don't think there is. Then there would have to be circuitry to convert analog RCA video signals into the digital display of the LCD included on the factory unit.

This can all be done and is done all the time in units designed for it, but its very doubtful that the factory unit has any of this built into it... unless they intended to offer such a thing themselves.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:26 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

When the 08 NAV unit is in a Lincoln, it has a backup camera connected. The same NAV unit with the Lincoln Navigator program.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

So you are saying the Navigator uses the same NAV system as the MMH & FEH?

Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

It is the same. My 08 nav is dealer installed, and they mistakenly gave me the Navigator NAV supplement. It has the steering wheel controls, the mirror interface, bluetooth, back seat dvd controls, and a backup camera.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by DavidH
When the 08 NAV unit is in a Lincoln, it has a backup camera connected. The same NAV unit with the Lincoln Navigator program.

OK....That would definitely raise the chances something might be done. If its the same unit with the option just disabled, or without the camera, it might indeed be possible. The funny thing is if it were you'd think they'd offer the option. Hey as far as the ford is concerned it would essentialy be free money (engineering already done).... and thats something they need!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, is anybody doing any radio work in the near future? I am curious now to see if there are any connections on the back of the radio that might accept a backup camera?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:23 AM

There was a posting that one of the "unused/unknown" pins on the back of the '07 and earlier Nav system, would accept a video camera. However, I don't remember the person making that claim, ever coming back with which pin it was.

Quick Reply: Backup camera

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands