Any way to tell when ICE will turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Any way to tell when ICE will turn on?

When accelerating I try to keep it low so I can get to around 35mph in EV mode but so far I'm just guessing on how hard to push. Looking at the tach, it's hard to read the green area for EV and I'm not sure that it even keeps track of EV output. Wish ther was a way to tell the ICE to stay off.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 AM
It is easy being green
Default Re: Any way to tell when ICE will turn on?

I just feel it. When im in EV and trying to gain speed, i feel when my car wants to turn the ICE on and i just lift up on the gas pedal a bit to realease the strain a bit and then put my foot right back on. i have to do this maybe 3 times or so untill im at my desired speed. I have found that i can stay like that for miles, but any slight incline in my driving can turn my ICE on.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Lots of sensors involved in telling ICE when to turn on. The EV section of the tach is not a scale, just an indicator that you are in EV mode.

Slow pull away is all you can do to maximize EV mode. I have found that the L gear seems to work the best around town and in stop/go.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

In addition, the Charge/Assist meter can help out. After a while, you can get a feeling how much is too much assist to get the ICE on. Fake shifting (letting your food off the pedal for a second), can take the pressure off, and allow you to EV up to higher speeds.

At this point, I can hit 30 MPH fairly easy from a dead stop. Higher than that can be tricky.