Am I Being Paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:46 PM
It is easy being green
Default Re: Am I Being Paranoid?

i dont so much think its where its patched, but how they do it. i have had two flats and my ford tec of a boyfriend will not let me get the tire repaired at the ford dealership, becuase they patch it from the outside. the proper and safetst way is to patch from the inside. when i had my first one done i took it to a local tire shop and they did not charge me anything, but the second time, we went to sear, its where my boyfriend recomends, but they did charge us something like $15.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1

I was surprized how easy it is to do a "on car" repair for a small nail hole.
You can even do it yourself.
Plugs kits are like $2 or $3 bucks. Can get them at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store. I carry one with me now in my glove box. This, plus a 12v compresssor will fix 90% of all flat tires on the road, and in less time than it takes to remove a tire and put on the spare
I would only do this as a temporary fix. If you plug it go to a shop and get it patched on your next balance and rotation. I used to use plugs but found many of them leaking a year later.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I would avoid the chapest oils. But you get what you pay for.
Pay for cheap oil, and be bothered changing it out every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Or buy expensive, full synthetic oil, and change it out every 15,000 miles. I pour in Mobil 1 which costs about $5.79 a quart, but lasts 15,000 miles, so I pay for fewer filters, and spend less time at it.
-John
I use Mobil 1 also, but just a reminder that the warranty requires oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals. No matter how good the oil is, if you don't change it at 10,000 or less, your engine warranty may be void.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by KenG
I use Mobil 1 also, but just a reminder that the warranty requires oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals. No matter how good the oil is, if you don't change it at 10,000 or less, your engine warranty may be void.
I agree Ken, spreading the word to recommend a voided warranty is foolish. I use Mobil 1, but I stay at 10,000 miles at each change.

GaryG

Old 10-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you goto Walmart, you can add tire insurance to your tires for almost nothing, as long as there is a certain amount of tread on them.

They fix, balance, rotate as often as you want at no cost.

From one nail magnet to another.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Am I Being Paranoid?

Originally Posted by pb5927317
If you goto Walmart, you can add tire insurance to your tires for almost nothing, as long as there is a certain amount of tread on them.

They fix, balance, rotate as often as you want at no cost.

From one nail magnet to another.
Sweet! Because something tells me this won't be the last time... in fact, on the way home this evening I noticed yet another new mini-strip mall going up, which means still more construction. Ah well, at least stuff's easier to fix down here on Earth than it is up in space (reference the torn solar array panel they noticed today on the International Space Station.)

Thanks, gang. Knew I'd get straight shooting from the folks here!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Why Geek Gal?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Cool Re: Am I Being Paranoid?

Originally Posted by cshupp
Why Geek Gal?
Pardon?

If you're inquiring as to the origin of my handle, it's self-explanatory.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Since you live in SA, you might want to look up a Dixie Tire, they patch tires free. And they will have the correct replacement tires available.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:30 AM

Good tip, Mark! I will check them out. This latest puncture is the first to not trigger my TPMS--it's a very slow leak, though it'd become a real quick one once the nailhead wore off! Hehe...

Quick Reply: Am I Being Paranoid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands