After Market Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default After Market Stereo

I have a 2009 FEH, with Sync and the base stereo/CD--not Audiophile. I have installed aftermarket speakers in all 4 doors, along with a generous layer of sound absorbing material in all the doors. I didn't buy the Audiophile because it came with Navigation, etc. which cost $$$$$.

I had a 1999 Ford Contour with aftermarket speakers and an aftermarket stereo, 25W (no separate amp)--it had much better sound.

1. What is the power output of the base stereo (I know that the Audiophile has a 320W amp)?

2. Has anybody replaced their base stereo with an aftermarket? If so, did they notice a change? With or without separate amp?

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: After Market Stereo

I had the door speakers replaced as you've done but ran the new ones from a small 4 channel 160w amp under the front passenger seat and keeping the stock headunit. I liked this setup for a low-buck solution that had much better sound than stock.
This year I ditched the stock headunit to get one with HD radio, DVD player and built-in Bluetooth. I kept the small amp I had and added a flat 8" subwoofer velcro'd to the back seat for some much improved sound. I run the amp in 3 channel mode with the rear door speakers powered off of the head unit only which seems ok if you tune these speakers like a midbass.
The stock head unit probably has less than 20W per channel, but if you're satisfied with how things sound now, you may not really need an amp. Car audio can be a slippery slope and keeping things simple isn't such a bad thing in my opinion.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:31 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, D-mac, for the quick reply. I may just go with the added amp--I like the look of the dash with the stock head unit. I need all the space in the back, so I'll skip on the subwoofer (although "Dazed and Confused" with a subwoofer is tempting).

Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 PM

Actually, my subwoofer doesn't take up cargo space, it's only about 1.5" deep and is easily removable if I'm folding down the back seat. If you want a perfectly clean install though, you can custom fiberglass a subwoofer cone in the passenger side of the cargo area or maybe do the rear door.
And just to tempt you some more, many aftermarket head units these days have adjustable backlighting so it will match the other instruments on your dash. Double DIN sized head units make for a clean install on an Escape.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The location of the 8 inch stock subwoofer: Name:  12Vbatterydrainwithhorizontaltapeme.jpg
Views: 4953
Size:  152.9 KB

Mounting a non-OEM amplifier in this location is difficult.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:22 PM

Since the OP had a non-Audiophile (base) audio system, I believe he doesn't have a factory sub anyways. Of course it would be a time-consuming proposition to custom install a subwoofer in the cargo space wall (if you didn't have one originally) , but maybe it would be easier if you bought the OEM mounting pieces from Ford.
Curiously, how much power does that little Mach sub amp put out?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I pulled the stock subwoofer amp out and replaced it with an aftermarket one that is fitted under the drivers seat.
Name:  FEHsubwooferandamprearview.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  272.4 KB