After 30-40min of driving will not go into hybrid mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: After 30-40min of driving will not go into hybrid mode

Yeah, figured ebay would be the cheapest --- never steered me wrong, but figured I'd ask.

Gator, thanks for the link to the doc -- I made a copy and saved for later use, if needed.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: After 30-40min of driving will not go into hybrid mode

Ok, I got my battery fan kit in today and got them swapped out in about an hour. There's not much to it to swap them out in the vehicle as long as you remove the rear edge of torx bits from the larger cover you can get the rear cover off a lot easier. Be careful with the edges, they're sharp. I would wear some gloves while you get this piece out. The replacement kit comes with everything you need to replace both fans.

Immediately upon startup I noticed that the rear blend door stays closed now instead of opening after a few minutes idling. After a short drive I noticed battery temps I've never been close to on my Scangauge. Outside temp of 90 degrees and I saw as low as 73.2 after 15 minutes of cruising. This completely changed the overall drivability of mine too. I'm averaging 28.4 MPG right now and it went up a tenth just on that drive.

For anyone that is running high battery temps but there's no check engine code, just take a look at the rear blend door while it's running and see if you have the open rear blend door symptom. If you do, roll up your sleeves and spend an hour on the rear battery fans. I'm not sure what a dealership charges but if you're out of warranty like me go price it and see if it's less than $200 total.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: After 30-40min of driving will not go into hybrid mode

Thanks 4x4. You made my mind up. Diddo probs. diddo solutions. blend door and all. One thing is my compressor clutch will still cut itself off intermitently the longer it runs it will start to cycle on and off in about 20 sec. intervals. But battery cooling great with new fans.