Advice on purchasing 2009 FEH FWD - 97,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Advice on purchasing 2009 FEH FWD - 97,000 miles

Hello to the Forum!

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2009 FEH FWD with 97,000 miles for under 6K.
It was a 1 owner vehicle. Looks like the original owner traded it back into the dealer and it made its way right after that to the current 'used car' dealer at auction. (I can't know this, but I suspect the person traded it in due to the 100,000 mile battery warranty coming up)
It was owned on Long Island. It is spotless, garage kept.

Based on the Carfax, the maintenance records are also spotless and it was serviced strictly by the dealer the whole time.
There is no indication of dealership repairs in the Carfax beyond the detailed and customary general maintenance.

Is there anything I should look out for with this? I suspect it's possible that I can get this for $5,500 possibly less.

The only thing holding me back is that it is FWD instead of AWD seeing as I am in Vermont I was hoping to get a 4x4 or AWD, but this seems too good a deal to pass up. Can anyone with experience offer their thoughts? I am only highway driving this. No off roading although I may do some light towing.

Thanks in advance for your time.
I have appreciated this forum.

Murph

Old 06-21-2020, 06:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Advice on purchasing 2009 FEH FWD - 97,000 miles

the 08's in the central and northern texas were 5900 - so that is a very good price.
check that the ac works - should be even in the northern states for the hybrid battery.
there are known issues with the scroll compressor during those years.
these hybrids are built to last and i think it is the owners who care for them moreso than the build -
ford does not have eveything right (IMHO).
i bought my first hybrid and first escape north of san antonio - (2009 with 229 thousand) just last march.
did they use synthetic oil - and was the trans fluid changed in the transaxle?

Old 06-22-2020, 01:32 AM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=
did they use synthetic oil - and was the trans fluid changed in the transaxle?[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure about the oil and transaxle fluid. All maintenance was at the dealer so if that was SOP then I’m sure it was. Is the transaxle known to be a problem?

thx for your advice!

Old 06-22-2020, 05:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

the transaxle is definitely Not a known problem - the recommended interval is 150,000, that is too much - but with the mileage on the one you are looking at - it is
OK (if you buy it then you can change the fluid if you want)
not for sure if syn oil is the standard or not - the guy i bought from went to those quick oil changes and i think he went for the cheapest - so conventional oil was used. i put in 5 20 synthetic.
A problem that is known is the throttle body. i heard that it was recalled on the non-hybrids but because the numbers were not great enough for the hybrids so there was no recall on them -
this is all according to the guy that i bought from (i have not checked out what he said).of course, like he said - there were not as many hybrids built - so their numbers would be less. He had to get his replaced and went to the dealer. he gave me a lot of receipts and i have that one -
dont know what he paid.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder what the throttle body issue was? I don't know that it has been changed on my 2008.

To the OP - I'd buy that car!

Old 06-22-2020, 11:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would include $2500 in your budget to replace the HV battery with a rebuilt. At 10 years my battery is definitely in decline and would need replacement soon if I keep it.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rex B
I wonder what the throttle body issue was? I don't know that it has been changed on my 2008.

To the OP - I'd buy that car!
sudden stalling and engine surging; not the 08 though;

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...ssemblies.html

Old 06-22-2020, 01:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
I would include $2500 in your budget to replace the HV battery with a rebuilt. At 10 years my battery is definitely in decline and would need replacement soon if I keep it.
Well sure, but few people actually do that. My 2008 has 180K on it, the battery is certainly declined. But the evidence is lower fuel economy, and failure to start if you let it sit undriven for more than 2 days. I had to use the Magic Button today, and the 2009 does not have one. But as long as it gets used daily, or close to it, it should run indefinitely, and get fuel economy as good as any of the gas-engine variants.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

If it were me, I would download FORSCAN onto a laptop and run the diagnostic checks especially for the PCModule and BCModule plus look for DTC's.
The AWD system has higher maintenance and lower fuel economy over the FWD. Being in southern Ontario, I like the FWD with a good winter tire in every corner. Should be AOK unless you are dealing with a long unploughed driveway or very steep hills. I don't think it's a good idea to buy a 11 year old AWD. Look for rust around the rear haunches. and tailgate. Pay to have it checked over first due to age. It might end up being a great vehicle for the next 5 or so years. The towing capacity per Ford is low. Roomy fuel sipper if you find a good one. Not a head turner rather a sleeper of a vehicle for those who want a low carbon lifestyle. Some of my posts from earlier last year will show you what some of the data should look like. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

My other car is a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid with 250K miles on the original battery. Gas Mileage is closer to the gas engine specs at this point but there is no sign of it letting up.
I'm not really concerned about these hybrids losing mileage in the long run. Just checking on the general reliability.
There is a guy that has a hold on it but the dealer thinks he's going to flake. Hopefully I'll get a chance at it. I've got an appointment lined up at a Ford dealer to have a once over during the test drive (if it happens). Wish me luck.

Thanks all for the advice.
McM

Quick Reply: Advice on purchasing 2009 FEH FWD - 97,000 miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands