Additional Clear Coating to Protect Finish

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Additional Clear Coating to Protect Finish

Howdy:

My other half had an additional clear coat or protectant layer put on his dakota 7yrs ago when he got it to help prevent chipping/scratching and it seems to have worked other than where it's come in contact with 2x4's at home depot. The truck looks nearly new even with winter driving in the mtns of Colorado.

The question is, has anyone else heard of this? The dealer tried to sell me the clear bra, but I don't like the lines it creates.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Additional Clear Coating to Protect Finish

The general consensus has been that the additional items dealers try to sell during the purchasing process (well, now it comes on the car before it hits the lot and you're stuck wtih paying for it. The common one out here is the "Desert Protection Package") aren't anything extra that the manufacturer hasn't already put on their cars.

The paint already has a clear coat protective finish... from the factory. The underbody already comes pre-treated to prevent rust... from the factory. The interior already comes with fabric protection... from the factory.

Any additional protection you purchase is at your discretion. But, one more bit of information. All these items can cost upwards of $1K. But from what some people that have worked in car dealerships have said, the dealer cost for these items is less than $100, to include the labor.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Additional Clear Coating to Protect Finish

Originally Posted by edge01
My other half had an additional clear coat or protectant layer put on his dakota 7yrs ago when he got it to help prevent chipping/scratching and it seems to have worked
I would love to see what they applied and how it was applied. Being notoriously doubtful of anything a dealer wants to do to a car before delivery, I would guess all they did is polish the clearcoat and off you went. I doubt they actually applied additional clearcoat which would require some significant time in the body shop. The finish on the Dakota would probably look just as good today without the additional treatment at the dealer.

Anyway, negativity over. I have always had good luck with Ford clearcoats. All I ever do is wash them and occasionally use a good clearcoat cleaner - usually Maguires. I never wax or buff my cars and they always maintain a nice finish. I was told a long time by an auto body guy that waxing and buffing are bad for clearcoats. I have been following his advice for almost 20 years and have always had good looking cars since.

Just my opinion of course.