2011 Ford Escape Hybrid "Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid "Stop Safely Now"

Put some watery gas in the car, got the stop safely now message and some misfires. Drained bad gas and put clean gas with heet in it. Ran it through, misfires stopped, but when you start the engine, it revs 5 times then dies and the stop safely now message appears. Cleaned throttle body and maf sensor. No codes on scanner, but haven't used forscan yet, ordering an OBD cable.

Old 08-18-2023, 03:06 PM
Doc
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid "Stop Safely Now"

I just got the same error message last week in my 2009 FEH. Fortunately, it's parked in the driveway, because there's "no crank, no start". I hooked up my OBDII scanner and got no codes. Poking around the internet, I found someone with the same condition. They replaced the MECS pump and it fixed the problem, so I just ordered one from Amazon ($140-) and next week I'll find out if that was it.

Old 08-18-2023, 06:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc
I just got the same error message last week in my 2009 FEH. Fortunately, it's parked in the driveway, because there's "no crank, no start". I hooked up my OBDII scanner and got no codes. Poking around the internet, I found someone with the same condition. They replaced the MECS pump and it fixed the problem, so I just ordered one from Amazon ($140-) and next week I'll find out if that was it.
MECS pump gives a specific code, and you can visually verify that it's not working. You need Forscan.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc
Like Keith said, you can tell MECS isn't working if there isn't coolant circulating through the coolant reservoir. Sounds like a hybrid battery issue to me. I have a neighbor who had the same issue as I have and said there's a water sensor in the fuel line that might have tripped, but dont think thats your case because mine cranks and runs for a few seconds. I'd order a forscan adapter, you can get a decent one for $40 on Amazon.

Last edited by Ejanes508; 08-19-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ejanes508
Like Keith said, you can tell MECS isn't working if there isn't coolant circulating through the coolant reservoir. Sounds like a hybrid battery issue to me. I have a neighbor who had the same issue as I have and said there's a water sensor in the fuel line that might have tripped, but dont think thats your case because mine cranks and runs for a few seconds. I'd order a forscan adapter, you can get a decent one for $40 on Amazon.
I've had to replace two FEH fuel pumps to resolve the above.

Detach the fuel hose from the injector rail. If key on/engine off doesn't spray fuel (little or just a dribble), fuel pump is likely bad. There's also a fuel control module that can go bad.

Old 08-19-2023, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I've had to replace two FEH fuel pumps to resolve the above.

Detach the fuel hose from the injector rail. If key on/engine off doesn't spray fuel (little or just a dribble), fuel pump is likely bad. There's also a fuel control module that can go bad.
Dont think it's the fuel pump. Engine starts and runs, revs 5 times or so, then the throttle valve snaps shut and displays the stop safely now message. I'll definitely check what you're saying though.

Last edited by Ejanes508; 08-19-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Hooked up forscan and found several DTC's, namely P1A0C. Any ideas on how to fix?

Old 08-20-2023, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Did some more digging and found hybrid battery is at 4% charge. I imagine that's my issue.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:54 PM

Repeated failed starts due to other issues like a failed fuel pump commonly drain the HV battery. Ask me how I know.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Repeated failed starts due to other issues like a failed fuel pump commonly drain the HV battery. Ask me how I know.
Haha I bet. Any idea on what to do with it at this point? I saw the other posts on the forum about manually charging the battery, but don't really want to get into that unless I have to.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands