2010 +- Ford Escape Hybrid block heater location

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2010 +- Ford Escape Hybrid block heater location

It took some research and time to find the block heater plug. No reliable info on the net after about one hour of research. I found it by using a flashlight at night which allows you to see items more easily than during the day. The plug on ours can be found by reaching up under the low cowl opening under the front grille and upper bumper. It's located in about the centre position and has a small amount of lead so you can't pull it down too far. Our plug was quite corroded since the cover was off and it looked like it probably had not been used for a very long time. I cleaned the dirt and corrosion off with fine sandpaper, a small flat screwdriver that substituted as a scraper and electrical contact cleaner . It looks like a good quality unit but the tether for the cap was designed slightly too short so it is more difficult than it should be to replace the cover when done. I suspect that's why someone left the cover off. In a cold climate like southern Ontario where we live (especially with the weather this fall), it seems like it would be beneficial to heat up the engine a bit to reduce its warm-up time and allow it to go into EV mode more quickly. It revs quite high when cold so I assume fuel consumption is quite high during the warm-up phase. Payback is probably quite good at the lowest electrical rate interval early morning. And of course, a block heater also reduces overall engine emissions and engine start-up wear, especially in sub zero (C) temperatures. I am now using Mobil 1 5W20 full synthetic with a Mobil 1 matching oil filter which are probably superior to the bulk oil and Mopar filter installed by the selling Dodge dealer. Please note that warm climate FEH's were probably not equipped with a block heater. The original Ford "sticker" indicated it had a block heater so I went looking.

Last edited by Hippo the Hybrid; 11-17-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 +- Ford Escape Hybrid block heater location

Update - it's working fine. With HIPPO sleeping in the barn now, it gets 2 hours of off peak electrical heat before leaving. This has reduced idling and we have seen a marked improvement in fuel economy.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are these on all the 2010 models or are they "option only?" I haven't looked for one on my 2010 FEH yet, but I'm wondering if I should expect it to be there?

Old 09-08-2020, 06:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

probably on there because he is north of the border;
actually i wish there was one for mine;
as i read about them, they are only for the Duratec version of the 2.5 liter.
early on, after first buying my 09, i was in chat on ford dot com and i do Not have the Duratec version of the 2.5

http://www.showmetheparts.com/philli...oapplications/
from Zerostart

Old 09-10-2020, 08:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe the block heater was standard in Canada. In very general historical terms, block heaters were not standard in the U.S across many car companies.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

according to ford authority https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-m...uratec-engine/
the duratec was not put into the hybrid;
the block heater that i linked to above (posts up from here) has the block heater for the duratec;
something is not right - unless the aftermarket is only making them for the non-hybrid but you have the
block heater and you do not have the duratec.
edited; rereading and i see that you gave the location;
Thanks

Last edited by fglaustin; 09-12-2020 at 10:39 AM.