2009 Ford Escape Hybrid P0A27-60 Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid P0A27-60 Question

Thanks for add, First time caller with question. I have an 09 FEH I bought last year. It did not run as the High Voltage battery pack was dead, I bought a used one and threw it in and off my kid went with it to Colorado. It ran fine until it got hot this summer and started acting up, she took it to a hybrid repair facility and guy said it needed a new used transmission for 4600.00. I called BS and asked if he could check the AC as my daughter said it quit working and he said it was trans. Long story short I put it on a transport back to Oregon. When I got it home I drove it for a couple miles and it ran fine, I also purchased ForScan and ran the codes. The AC had 30# of static so I leak checked it, pulled it down to 400 microns and put the factory charge in it and got it working. I ran the BCM Mod for codes and cooling fan 2 failure, blend door fault and the P0A27 code popped up. I replaced both cooling fans and changed the blend door motor, which by the way you can do without taking all the ducting apart. I did also notice the battery pack has had the wiring harness upgrade as it is an 07 battery pack. I believe what happened is the blend door was stuck closed, and the AC being flat, caused the battery pack to overheat. I assume the BCM was flashed by Ford when the harness was upgraded. Would this flash back then cause the Red triangle safety warning to become inactive. I think the overtemp should have thrown the warning on the dash and made car inoperable. The code is still there but does not seem to affect the operation of vehicle, it runs great, goes into EV mode with no problems. There is very little info on what the Fix and reflash to BCM did, and I am a little gun shy, before I put it on a transport back to Colorado I want to make sure it is fixed. I do have my 09 BCM that came out of my old batter pack, should I try to install that instead. Any help would be appreciated

Old 09-01-2020, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid P0A27-60 Question

Following.
Our 2006 is showing the same P0A27-60 code. It is running well at the moment, but I came across this. 7M6Z-14A303-B part replacement as a a part of a Ford TSB https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...94/tsb09-18-06
I am having a local shop look at it in a couple of weeks just to be sure that it is not a recurring issue. They will look at the codes and see if the harness has any signs of overheat or corrosion. I wonder if those little 7M6Z-14A303-B harnesses are a product that fails regularly.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1Burb
Thanks for add, First time caller with question. I have an 09 FEH I bought last year. It did not run as the High Voltage battery pack was dead, I bought a used one and threw it in and off my kid went with it to Colorado. It ran fine until it got hot this summer and started acting up, she took it to a hybrid repair facility and guy said it needed a new used transmission for 4600.00. I called BS and asked if he could check the AC as my daughter said it quit working and he said it was trans. Long story short I put it on a transport back to Oregon. When I got it home I drove it for a couple miles and it ran fine, I also purchased ForScan and ran the codes. The AC had 30# of static so I leak checked it, pulled it down to 400 microns and put the factory charge in it and got it working. I ran the BCM Mod for codes and cooling fan 2 failure, blend door fault and the P0A27 code popped up. I replaced both cooling fans and changed the blend door motor, which by the way you can do without taking all the ducting apart. I did also notice the battery pack has had the wiring harness upgrade as it is an 07 battery pack. I believe what happened is the blend door was stuck closed, and the AC being flat, caused the battery pack to overheat. I assume the BCM was flashed by Ford when the harness was upgraded. Would this flash back then cause the Red triangle safety warning to become inactive. I think the overtemp should have thrown the warning on the dash and made car inoperable. The code is still there but does not seem to affect the operation of vehicle, it runs great, goes into EV mode with no problems. There is very little info on what the Fix and reflash to BCM did, and I am a little gun shy, before I put it on a transport back to Colorado I want to make sure it is fixed. I do have my 09 BCM that came out of my old batter pack, should I try to install that instead. Any help would be appreciated
Your situation parallels mine. I purchased an 09 FEH 2+ years ago. The prior owner used the car at their vacation home, let it sit too long and the battery self-discharged. They replaced it with a salvage yard 08 HVTB. The car ran fine until one day the AC stopped blowing cold, only cool, and it would not go into EV mode. I had the compressor and receiver/drier replaced and the car ran well. I did notice a drop in MPG and one of the codes we pulled was P0A27. No SSN events, no trouble lights. That was the only code we couldn't resolve

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I bought a wrecked 09 and we transplanted its battery into mine. No more P0A27, MPG back up.

Two common circumstances between your situation and mine:

1. 09 vehicles with earlier year HVTB
2. AC issues

I tend to think the HVTB is the more likely factor, especially since my P0A27 went away upon reinstallation of an 09 HVTB. The main difference between the 09 battery and an 07/08 one is that the 09 does not have the jump start circuitry. I wonder if there is a difference between the BCM or its programming with the 09 battery as opposed to earlier years?

Link

Old 09-02-2020, 08:37 PM

P0A27 can be a malfunction of the BCM. BCM is internal to the battery.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Your situation parallels mine. I purchased an 09 FEH 2+ years ago. The prior owner used the car at their vacation home, let it sit too long and the battery self-discharged. They replaced it with a salvage yard 08 HVTB. The car ran fine until one day the AC stopped blowing cold, only cool, and it would not go into EV mode. I had the compressor and receiver/drier replaced and the car ran well. I did notice a drop in MPG and one of the codes we pulled was P0A27. No SSN events, no trouble lights. That was the only code we couldn't resolve

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I bought a wrecked 09 and we transplanted its battery into mine. No more P0A27, MPG back up.

Two common circumstances between your situation and mine:

1. 09 vehicles with earlier year HVTB
2. AC issues

I tend to think the HVTB is the more likely factor, especially since my P0A27 went away upon reinstallation of an 09 HVTB. The main difference between the 09 battery and an 07/08 one is that the 09 does not have the jump start circuitry. I wonder if there is a difference between the BCM or its programming with the 09 battery as opposed to earlier years?

Link
Thanks for the reply, I have never had better than 26MPG around town in this and also have probably never driven it without this code. I am just curious if the factory ford reprogram took the red triangle of death out of the BCM so it didn't send the code to the PCM to shutdown. I think I am going to install my 09 BCM in this 07 battery pack and see if the code goes away. Is the MPG in line with what these should get around town?

Old 09-03-2020, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
P0A27 can be a malfunction of the BCM. BCM is internal to the battery.
I am going to install my 09 BCM in this 07 battery and see if it goes away.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

n0 - i get 29 to 32; and that is made worse by the short trips i take to work;
longer in town trips - i would think that one should see 30 to 34,
when i bought it about 80 miles from austin - drove home i got 34 to 37 mpg.
2009 feh limited

Old 09-03-2020, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply, I have never had better than 26MPG around town in this and also have probably never driven it without this code. I am just curious if the factory ford reprogram took the red triangle of death out of the BCM so it didn't send the code to the PCM to shutdown. I think I am going to install my 09 BCM in this 07 battery pack and see if the code goes away. Is the MPG in line with what these should get around town?
With my 09 HVTBs, 30 MPG, with the 08 battery and the P0A27 code, 26 MPG. I live in Florida, so constant AC. The 08 battery would self-discharge fairly quickly, so that would affect gas mileage.

While you have the 09 HVTB open, consider installing S Keith's wire harness in case the need arises. You can build the charger later.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

Well that sucked, I took battery pack apart and BCM's were different pin outs, I put it back together and now have a contactor code, high voltage fuse code and still the P0A27, took it apart again and checked pins, still same codes, wonder if the power down reverted back to old codes or something as fuse is definitely good and never touched the contactor. Ordered an 09 battery from wreckers so will see if it at least works as I don't think there was any way to get rid of the P0A27 code anyways, so basically not really a hybrid with the 07 battery pack.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:13 AM

Well that sucked, I took battery pack apart and BCM's were different pin outs, I put it back together and now have a contactor code, high voltage fuse code and still the P0A27, took it apart again and checked pins, still same codes, wonder if the power down reverted back to old codes or something as fuse is definitely good and never touched the contactor. Ordered an 09 battery from wreckers so will see if it at least works as I don't think there was any way to get rid of the P0A27 code anyways, so basically not really a hybrid with the 07 battery pack.
I can't speak to your current code issues. If your "new" salvage yard 09 battery has not been in a running vehicle for over 30 days, be prepared to charge it with an external charger before it will start your ICE.

Quick Reply: 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid P0A27-60 Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands