2006 Escape Hybrid brake faliure

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy 2006 Escape Hybrid brake faliure

I have a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid, and yesterday on my way home from the store, I was coming to a stop at a red light, and almost rear ended someone as the ABS light and Brake lights lit up on my dashboard, along with "Service brake system". My foot went right to the floor to stop the truck... luckly I didn't rear end him... but I limped the right of the way home, with my hand on my hand brake.

I get home, and park, then went online, and started looking at what the problem could be... much to my surprise, there are a LOT of people with this issue... and it looks like it could be upwards of $8000 to fix! I bought the truck for that much... I couldn't believe this hasn't been recalled.... so I went outside, and checked my truck again... and I noticed a huge puddle of fluid... I checked it... brake fluid!! Is this the same problem, or could something have just leaked? I checked my brake fluid reservoir (which was full the week before, when I checked my fluids) and it was empty. I filled it up, and as soon as the HCU started 'charging' the brakes, the brake system lights come on again... and a new puddle forms in my driveway.

Any guidance would be appreciated.... I really REALLY can't afford to dump thousands of dollars on this truck.

Thank you!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Escape Hybrid brake faliure

Knowing exactly where it is leaking from is going to be important. Can you put it up on a lift and look?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

I was more curious if the leaking brake fluid is part of that major brake faliure or not.

The brake fluid is actually coming from the passenger side... but in order to find out, I'd have remove it to find out... very hard to see where it's coming from I think.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This was the master thread on that problem, but you've probably already seen it: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ke-bank-24731/

Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I saw that post... however mine I'm hoping isn't related to that issue at all... as he never mentioned any brake fluid being spilled anywhere... where as mine there was.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro187
Yeah, I saw that post... however mine I'm hoping isn't related to that issue at all... as he never mentioned any brake fluid being spilled anywhere... where as mine there was.
You have a brake fluid leak which could come from road damage to a brake line, a bad seal or pump leak. I don't think it's the same $8,000 problem others have had.

Try calling a mobile service repair company to identify the leak if you can't find it. The Ford dealer can also identify the problem for about $100 and give you an estimate for the repair.

Once you identify the problem, many of us here can make recommendations as to how much the parts and labor should cost. My local Dealer Service and Parts Department give me this kind of information all the time. Relax! We help FEH owners all the time here.

GaryG

Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, so this is what Ford said. They said that one of my flex hoses from my HCU has burst, and the other three are cracked. They're recommending replacing all flex hoses, which will cost $700 total + tax to replace them, and bleed the brakes.

Does this sound normal?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Ok, so this is what Ford said. They said that one of my flex hoses from my HCU has burst, and the other three are cracked. They're recommending replacing all flex hoses, which will cost $700 total + tax to replace them, and bleed the brakes.

Does this sound normal?
It sounds normal for what a bad dealer would try to charge, now call a brake repair dealer for an estimate. No need to replace lines that do not leak. Save yourself hundreds of dollars.

GaryG

Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

I called around to a few places, and to replace the brake lines, would cost around the same amount Ford was quoting... but some of them said they couldn't bleed the brakes, and that Ford would have to do it... some of them said they would have no problem... but once I told them it was a hybrid, they backed down and said "better bring it to ford"

Either way, $790 after tax later, my truck is perfect again.

So if this problem happens to any of you guys, don't think the worst (HCU gone, $7,000 bill, etc etc) and cross your fingers only your brake lines blew.

I'm actually really surprised that even though two brake lines completely broke, that I was still able to brake. Thanks guys.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

I called around to a few places, and to replace the brake lines, would cost around the same amount Ford was quoting... but some of them said they couldn't bleed the brakes, and that Ford would have to do it... some of them said they would have no problem... but once I told them it was a hybrid, they backed down and said "better bring it to ford"

Either way, $790 after tax later, my truck is perfect again.

So if this problem happens to any of you guys, don't think the worst (HCU gone, $7,000 bill, etc etc) and cross your fingers only your brake lines blew.

I'm actually really surprised that even though two brake lines completely broke, that I was still able to brake. Thanks guys.
Could you post the breakdown of the cost for parts and labor from your invoice? That number still seems very high to replace hoses. I looked them up and the list price for all of the hoses is less than $50 each and I just have a hard time believing it takes 4 or more hours of labor to do this.

TIA

Quick Reply: 2006 Escape Hybrid brake faliure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands