'09 audiophile option - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 PM
hybrid n00b
Default '09 audiophile option - worth it?

I'm thinking of asking for some personal vehicle upgrades from the basic FEH that our fleet department is ordering... audiophile system being one of them!

Reading through the older threads about the $695 Audiophile option is NOT worth it. However, I'm now reading for Canada the Audiophile option is $400 for the seven speakers and upgraded stereo. Anybody have an '09 Audiophile system and can chime in?

Where is the subwoofer? The local dealer doesn't know (and won't really help me since it's I'm not buying the FEH from them, my company is buying it.) My concern is that I need the entire trunk space for equipment, so if there's a subwoofer in the trunk that takes up space, then my decision is made for me.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: '09 audiophile option - worth it?

Originally Posted by canuckcam
I'm thinking of asking for some personal vehicle upgrades from the basic FEH that our fleet department is ordering... audiophile system being one of them!

Reading through the older threads about the $695 Audiophile option is NOT worth it. However, I'm now reading for Canada the Audiophile option is $400 for the seven speakers and upgraded stereo. Anybody have an '09 Audiophile system and can chime in?

Where is the subwoofer? The local dealer doesn't know (and won't really help me since it's I'm not buying the FEH from them, my company is buying it.) My concern is that I need the entire trunk space for equipment, so if there's a subwoofer in the trunk that takes up space, then my decision is made for me.
I have that system but not sure where the subwoofer is! Wherever, both rear seats still fold down.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 AM

I have the navi in both my '05 and '09 FEH which comes with the seven speakers including the subwoofer. The subwoofer and other speakers do not take any room from the cargo area. The subwoofer is located behind the right cargo wall which is not modified from the wall without the subwoofer. The system sounds much better than the standard 4 speaker system and I highly recommend it.

GaryG

Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have no complaints with my Audiophile. It has plenty of everything for the average listener. If you're the type that likes to upgrade the factory sound system then you're probably better off just getting the entry level and spending the difference on the upgrade.

The aftermarket will always have a better sound than factory, it's simple economics.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by MyPart
I have no complaints with my Audiophile. It has plenty of everything for the average listener. If you're the type that likes to upgrade the factory sound system then you're probably better off just getting the entry level and spending the difference on the upgrade.

The aftermarket will always have a better sound than factory, it's simple economics.
I've seen the wiring diagram of the 7 speaker system and the subwoofer is wired through the Smart Junction Box which I would not like to modify with an aftermarket add-on. From what I recall from the past, ordering an up-grade to the navi without the premium or limited package, Ford would not install the 7 speakers. I'm not even sure a fleet FEH can be ordered with the 7 speakers system. From what I've read on the forums there was a big disapointment for those that got their navi with 4 crappy sounding speakers. So the first thing I would check on is a fleet FEH available for sure with the 7 speaker system.

GaryG

Old 05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a broken hand, so I'm keeping this short.

The 7 speaker sound is great and shakes the mirrors when truned up!

enjoy!

Look in the pix area i had uploaded some pix of the back cargo area some time ago.
;-)

Old 05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
hybrid n00b

Stupid SJB!!! It's the god/black hole of the car! Thanks for everybody's response. Looks like I will go with the audiophile option if allowed!

way2much thanks a bunch for the gallery pictures, they're a great help!

Last edited by canuckcam; 05-07-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

I have the 08 audiophile option w/ 4 speakers, not the 09. I'm a professional audio engineer, so if that gives any weight to my opinion, there it is.

The audio quality is decent. Not great, but not bad. 5 out of 10. There's definitely an improvement over the stock system, but it pales in comparison to an aftermarket system. I listen to mostly talk radio and music on Sirius, which is compressed and sounds poor anyway, so it works well enough for that. When listening to MP3s or CDs I'm generally ok with the performance. I accept that a car isn't going to sound as good as my normal listening environments (5.1 Dolby-equipped and calibrated studio at work, 5.1 professional grade systems at home and in my home office), so maybe I'm easier to please.

I went with the built-in option because I don't like spending money on aftermarket items for cars, and I don't care how flashy the car I drive is. I view a sound system upgrade not only as a pain in the butt, but also a target for thieves. My FEH reflects this attitude: no chrome package, no sunroof, cloth interior, etc. If the wife ever lets me buy the Aston Martin DB9 I've got my eyes on, then I'll be flashy. Instead, I just want to be comfortable, save some money on gas and not be as hard on the environment.

If you're concerned with really nice sound, I'd just go for the 7 speaker setup or get an aftermarket solution. If you want something that's not great, but better than the typical 2-speaker setup you find stock in any car, then the audiophile system isn't a bad option. It's certainly not priced well, but nothing is with car dealers.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I got the 7-speaker system in 2005 and it is the first car that I was happy with the factory sound. I've not changed a thing and I listen A LOT.

FWIW, going with the FM antenna wire for extra input ( Sirius, iPod etc. ) in those cars not equipped is just as good as going through the CD changer... its a lot less work, lower cost, and does not interfere with the CD changer.

I'm talking about FM direct wire to the FM antenna, and you tune your AUX on any FM freq. The direct wire method cancels out all other stations when turned on. DO NOT use the "FM wireless" kind that get frequent interference.