08 vs 07 test results

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: 08 vs 07 test results

So is this the thread where those of us with 08's can say 'Neener, neener, neener!!'?
Not quite so fast partner. IMHO while the 08s will get better mileage than the 05-07s, in the hands of a very good hypermiler the 05-07s might ultimately get better mileage because you can control the hybrid mode better and not discharge the battery with slight acceleration. Efficient EVing will be harder in the 08s because you will drain the battery faster on slight acceleration leaving less to EV and more to charge back if you do EV. Those with the new SG start monitoring SOC and I think you will see what I mean.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
but I don't happen to like the look of the new ones anyway.

I agree, I don't particularly like the look either. I figured if I gave it a chance it would grow on me but it simply hasn't happened.

I work at a car dealer & right down the street is a Ford dealer that I pass on my way to work every day. They have a line of new Escape's right out front & I sometimes get stuck in traffic right in front of them & I sit there & stare at them.

I think part of the problem is, I REALLY REALLY dislike how Ford has all of a sudden decided to go back to an overuse (IMHO) of chrome on all their grills. I MUCH prefer a grill that is color keyed to the color scheme of the vehicle. I think that "chrome venetian blind" on the front of the Edge is the ugliest thing I have ever seen............

~John

Old 12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

And the 2005's seem to work better ( EV wise ) at colder temperatures than the 2008's. -J

Old 12-10-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
I agree, I don't particularly like the look either. I figured if I gave it a chance it would grow on me but it simply hasn't happened.

I work at a car dealer & right down the street is a Ford dealer that I pass on my way to work every day. They have a line of new Escape's right out front & I sometimes get stuck in traffic right in front of them & I sit there & stare at them.

I think part of the problem is, I REALLY REALLY dislike how Ford has all of a sudden decided to go back to an overuse (IMHO) of chrome on all their grills. I MUCH prefer a grill that is color keyed to the color scheme of the vehicle. I think that "chrome venetian blind" on the front of the Edge is the ugliest thing I have ever seen............

~John
Thats pretty much my issue too. I don't like chrome... As little as possible in every vehicle I've ever owned. But to each their own.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Thats pretty much my issue too. I don't like chrome... As little as possible in every vehicle I've ever owned. But to each their own.
It's funny how people's tastes are different. I almost chose the FEH over the MMH because of the new grille design, but I liked the standard features on the MMH.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
N/A

Wow, opinions really DO differ ! While I'm not a big fan of the 08 styling, I definitely prefer it. The previous gen was OK back in the day, seven years ago or whatever it was, but it was way overdue for refreshing. It's just so "grandpa" (no offense meant to the older guys who drive them).

For me it was the 08 interior combined with the noticeable refinement that finally got me. I drove it several times back to back with 07s, the price of which was very tempting. But I kept going back to the '08. It just felt so much better, so refined and quiet, and the hybrid setup was so smooth and ran in EV so nicely... THAT is what finally sold me after 3 years of considering one.

When they become more readily available, you really should try one. It's a lot better. Seriously.

I'd like to believe in the idea that a hypermiler could get better mileage out of the old one. Ford, the EPA and everyone else who tried it got better mileage with the new setup, however. Of course any vehicle can be driven by 2 different people under limited circumstances and produce different results.

So far all test show the 08 gets better mileage. If anyone can demonstrate otherwise, let's hear from you!! Maybe we can make some sort of wager just to keep it interesting.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by cshupp
So is this the thread where those of us with 08's can say 'Neener, neener, neener!!'? I am thinking it needs to be said before the 09's come out.

Cris

But similarly I dread what we might miss. Steering volume control. I think if it has automatic lift gate, my grandma would buy one!

I also am a chrome liker, but I like real chrome, something that hasn't been used in what, 20 years or so?!

Last edited by 08hybridok; 12-10-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok

But similarly I dread what we might miss. Steering volume control. I think if it has automatic lift gate, my grandma would buy one!
I love the Ice Storm Dec 2007 picture. That put the ICE in Ice Blue!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

So far all test show the 08 gets better mileage.
Yes I acknowledged that, for the average driver (including myself) BUT Debbie, GaryG and GPSMAN1 and those with their experience MIGHT do better in the 1 gen FEHs

Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by mtberman

So far all test show the 08 gets better mileage. If anyone can demonstrate otherwise, let's hear from you!! Maybe we can make some sort of wager just to keep it interesting.
Terry, would you like to do a side by side drive with '05 vs '08?
I can be in Denver Sat. Dec 22nd.
I'll even add 3MPG to your score for having AWD.

-John

Quick Reply: 08 vs 07 test results

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands