08 vs 07 test results

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Post 08 vs 07 test results

I got to drive a 08 MMH at the Houston hybrid meeting. I was able to use my scan gauge and noticed some significant differences in the software. This MMH was NOT broken in so some of the differences may be due to the battery has not cycled enough.

1) The upper SOC is allowed to go about 2% higher. I was unable to test the lower limit SOC. On highway cruise the battery was no longer recharged by the MG1 after 54%. I did not and was unable to test the max recharge as the software is very aggressive in the use of the traction motor. Refresh rate seemed to be about the same.

2) The use of the traction motor is MUCH more aggressive when in Hybrid drive. Even with light acceleration in hybrid mode the SOC would drop 2-3%. It was very easy to run the battery down to 41% SOC with normal acceleration when in Hybrid drive. Clearly the are using more assist. I think this is where the mileage increase has come from. EV mode seemed about the same as the older models. LGA and double tap worked the same.

3) ICE start up was indeed much softer. Much softer than mine even after my PCM was replaced.

4) Hot restart ICE on time seemed much shorter. I noticed on 2 hot restarts after key off for 5 min the ICE only ran for maybe 15 seconds. Though I didn't put a stop watch on it.

I think on the 08's attention must be paid to SOC and keeping it high not low. It will be imperative to use regen braking otherwise you will be charging the battery allot of the time. After driving this 08 I KNOW I dont have the 08 software.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 vs 07 test results

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
I got to drive a 08 MMH at the Houston hybrid meeting. I was able to use my scan gauge and noticed some significant differences in the software. This MMH was NOT broken in so some of the differences may be due to the battery has not cycled enough.

1) The upper SOC is allowed to go about 2% higher. I was unable to test the lower limit SOC. On highway cruise the battery was no longer recharged by the MG1 after 54%. I did not and was unable to test the max recharge as the software is very aggressive in the use of the traction motor. Refresh rate seemed to be about the same.

2) The use of the traction motor is MUCH more aggressive when in Hybrid drive. Even with light acceleration in hybrid mode the SOC would drop 2-3%. It was very easy to run the battery down to 41% SOC with normal acceleration when in Hybrid drive. Clearly the are using more assist. I think this is where the mileage increase has come from. EV mode seemed about the same as the older models. LGA and double tap worked the same.

3) ICE start up was indeed much softer. Much softer than mine even after my PCM was replaced.

4) Hot restart ICE on time seemed much shorter. I noticed on 2 hot restarts after key off for 5 min the ICE only ran for maybe 15 seconds. Though I didn't put a stop watch on it.

I think on the 08's attention must be paid to SOC and keeping it high not low. It will be imperative to use regen braking otherwise you will be charging the battery allot of the time. After driving this 08 I KNOW I dont have the 08 software.
Thank you Mark for the review.
May I ask what SOC and PCM stand for?
(please forgive me, I'm a rookie in the hybrid world)

Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

SOC is the State Of Charge of the High Voltage battery

PCM is the Powertrain Control Module, also called the computer or processor. Used to be refered to as an ECM or Electronic Control Module. Usually an ECM only controlled the engine, now most cars use a PCM which also controls the transmission ans in the case of the hybrids ALLOT more.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Please also read:

'08 vs '05 results

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...vs-08-a-13915/

Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 AM
N/A

SOC = State of Charge and I think PCM is Powertrain Control Module but I can't recall. It handles decisions about when to charge and when to assist, when to shut the ICE off, etc. All that stuff.

This mirrors my own experience and is the reason I bought a 2008 instead of an earlier one, even though I could have gotten a 2007 with Nav for less than my 2008 non-Nav model.

Light acceleration needs seem to be handled primarily by the traction motor in the 2nd gen. At a steady 50, gently accelerating to 55 doesn't cause the ICE to rev a bit then settle back like it used to. As I drive around in urban areas, I'm often surprised to see the ICE is off. Several reviewers have commented on this, as well. The difference between the two is really noticeable.

Did you notice how quiet and settled it seemed too? I really like what they did with the ride and especially quieting everything down.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

My impression was it felt more solid. As far as quiet, we had the moon roof open so cant say. The interior was a shock though, really different. I really liked the aggressive use of the traction motor. The way I drive would improve my mileage.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

So is this the thread where those of us with 08's can say 'Neener, neener, neener!!'? I am thinking it needs to be said before the 09's come out.

Cris

Old 12-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith

This has been reported several times, but I know for my '07, I can't even tell if the ICE has started unless I look at the tach. I just can't image it being any smoother/softer.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
N/A

Originally Posted by cshupp
So is this the thread where those of us with 08's can say 'Neener, neener, neener!!'? I am thinking it needs to be said before the 09's come out.
Pretty much, I need to get it over with because when the 09's or '10s come out with all the features I want(RSC, steering wheel audio control, redundant electric AC, tie-downs in back, easy-folding rear seat, decent roof rack) I'm going to be jealous as heck and not liking my '08 quite so much.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cshupp

Cris
You can say neener neener neener all you want... but I don't happen to like the look of the new ones anyway.

Quick Reply: 08 vs 07 test results

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands