08 FEH - 3 weeks of ownership, but questions remain

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 FEH - 3 weeks of ownership, but questions remain

Originally Posted by wptski
You may have read the same post in another forum where a owner of a '09 FE EPAS didn't work at -20F but later did when the sun warmed it up. Their dealer stated that they had numerous similiar complaints.
Yes, I've seen several mentions of this. I would expect
such a problem. IMO not curable on the present design.
I bet there's some issues with the motors in the eCVT
but you just don't notice them as much.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wilcal
Yes, I've seen several mentions of this. I would expect
such a problem. IMO not curable on the present design.
I bet there's some issues with the motors in the eCVT
but you just don't notice them as much.
There's a thread here about momentary loss of EPAS on the '09 FEH.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Enthusiast

OK guys - going to focus this thread back to one of my original questions: How fast and far can you go from a dead stop in EV before the ICE kicks in?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daggerNC
OK guys - going to focus this thread back to one of my original questions: How fast and far can you go from a dead stop in EV before the ICE kicks in?
I can pretty much go easily 3-blocks at 20mph before the
ICE kicks in. But I've only owned it since 23 Dec 10.
ICE is on almost all the time over 30mph.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This question can be also stated "how many amps can I utilize before the ICE kicks in? The answer is somewhere around 55 +/- 5 amps in non-winter conditions.

It has been stated elsewhere on this site one mile of EV is possible in non-winter conditions and if traffic conditions allow it. It is possible to go zero to 39 mph in EV in a downhill roll.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:49 PM

From a dead stop, I can go EV to 30mph and about one mile in my '05 FEH. With a SoC of 52%, I can hold 30mph for 1.3 miles in EV. My '09 FEH is not as efficient taking off from a stop or accelerating in EV, but I can do it very slower and a shorter distance. The '09 is heavier and more efficient holding EV speed up to 40mph in cruise control.

Not sure, but I think the '08 FEH is heavier than the '05 - '07 FEH. All models are not as efficient when you drain the battery to 40% SoC and get a automatic restart. I do the accelerator blip to restart the engine at around 43.5% SoC and pulse to charge the battery at a higher target speed below 40mph to go a EV glide in neutral. In max EV driving I keep the battery SoC between 43.5 to a max of 47% but 45.4% SoC is what I prefer for those 75mpg segments. The HV battery charges slower with the generator 1 (MG1) and get less efficient above 45.4% SoC. Regen from generator 2 can give a faster charge but still has slower restrictions when the battery SoC is at its upper limits.

Don't be concerned about how far you can go in EV because battery management will give you the longer time and miles in EV. My goal is to keep the engine Off for the most miles giving me the highest MPG possible.

GaryG

Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You are limited in winter by battery, coolant and catalytic converter temps.

If your HV battery is below 48°, your coolant is not fully warm or if outside air cools your cat, your EV distance will be limited.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast

Great - thanks guys for the responses and details. Sounds like my 08FEH is close to norm. Driving a half mile in EV to my house when I turn into the subdivision is expected (speeds under 30) with temps in the 40's/upper 30's.

Gotta take care of some rattles/noises - can anyone point me to a step-by-step/diagram for getting access to the actuator motor behind the radio dash?

Cheers,
David