08 FEH - 3 weeks of ownership, but questions remain

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default 08 FEH - 3 weeks of ownership, but questions remain

Great forum and source of info - thanks to all who have contributed here!

This is my first hybrid vehicle, so I'm a hybrid noob. I've now had my '08 Escape Hybrid (81K miles - was used by a Fleet company so the high miles) for 3 weeks and really am enjoying it - but there's quite a steep learning curve to driving this type of technology (I'm mechanically adept - know my way around older vehicles). I've learned alot from reading this and another hybrid forum, but I have some ongoing doubts/questions that I need inputs and insights on from the more seasoned Ford hybrid owners here please.

Besides lots of interior cleaning, I've done the rear battery cabin fever replacement (really needed it!), intake air filter, and oil change using 5-20W full synthetic Pennzoil. New A/T tires filled to 43 psi.

1) Warm up window - ICE to EV enabling. I understand the design necessitates the engine runs on cold starts, and that it will run longer on ICE during cold weather months than warm, and this has been a chilly January even for North Carolina! If the outside temps are upper 20's/low 30's it takes about 7 miles/15 minutes before EV will engage - sound about right?

2) Switching to ICE from EV mode after FEH is warmed up: This is one my biggest concerns/unknowns and I need fellow FEH owners to let me know what is "normal" operation. With vehicle warm I can barely accelerate from a stop (say stop sign or traffic light) and the ICE kicks in. If I take it easy where I don't **** off anybody behind me I can barely get up to 10 mph and then the engine comes on. Normal?? My best scenario for getting the longest time while on EV is say when I pull into my subdivision: I brake from 45mph (sometimes downshift to L first to maximize charging + kick in EV mode quicker), go into EV mode in D, and then it's 1/2 mile to my house. If I accelerate no more than about 1 mph per second or two I can go EV all the way to my garage. Again, does this sound normal or is there a potential battery/etc issue with my FEH? From a Stop light on a slight elevation forget about EV mode - lucky if I get 5 mph before ICE mode.

2a) Dropping into EV mode from ICE mode: Seems like the 1K rpm is a hard threshold. Shifting to L and double-brake techniques don't work above that 1K mark. But I think the highest speed I've witness so far is like 37 or 38 mph before it drops into EV, and usually it is 35 mph or less. Does anybody get consistent 40 mph EV mode engagements? What's the expected highest speed while under battery acceleration (going down a big hill doesn't count) you can go before the ICE kicks in?

3) eCVT transmission fluid replacement - to do it or not? Some conflicting info in the forums if it should ever be done?? I will be doing the coolant systems at 100K miles.

4) Dash panel actuator motor failure (ie., Cd/hard drive crunching noise). This is frustrating - I found and replaced the actuator by the passenger floor area, but there must be another one (more?) in the middle of the dash panel. I suspect there is one that is a heat/cold blending door controller (one on bottom passenger side must function for floor air distribution) because when the vehicle is cold, no noise. Only after it warms up and the cold air needs to be blended with the warm air to hit the temperature setting does the grinding noise start (and then never stops). I've read all the posts here on that issue. However, does anyone have any links to a site/thread that gives detail instructions (pictures would be nice) on how to access the actuator motor behind the radio?

5) Going into a Ford dealer to have a new ITK key made and to turn off DRL (I'll manually control my lights thank you very much!). Question I have is there a computer control software upgrade that people recommend for the '08 FEH that may enable better performance/FE?

Thanks in advance,
daggerNC

Old 01-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 FEH - 3 weeks of ownership, but questions remain

Originally Posted by daggerNC
3) eCVT transmission fluid replacement - to do it or not? Some conflicting info in the forums if it should ever be done?? I will be doing the coolant systems at 100K miles.
I can certainly step up with experience on
this one. The eCVT transmission is manufactured
by JATCO in Japan. The same company that
makes the Toyota Prius eCVT. In fact the two are
very similar. I purchased my 06 on 23 Dec 10 ( 75k )
and it was in the Ford Dealer on 27 Dec. One
of the issues I asked was to drain, refill and
adjust the eCVT. When I picked the FEH up the
response was that the eCVT is sealed and does
not need maintenance. There was no leaks so
therefore they did nothing. There is an inspection
port on the side of the eCVT but from what I
can read it has a seal that must be broken if
any fluid inspection or add is need. In my case
none was needed. Now I got the sense that
some of the FEH may in fact be different and
maybe someone here will respond to that.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The eCVT transmission is manufactured
by JATCO in Japan.

The 2005-2011 FEH eCVT is made by Asian AW not JATCO. The Prius and FEH have different hardware and software.

It is likely the next generation (replacement FEH) will have a transmission made in the USA but this has not been confirmed as of today.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk

The 2005-2011 FEH eCVT is made by Asian AW not JATCO. The Prius and FEH have different hardware and software.

It is likely the next generation (replacement FEH) will have a transmission made in the USA but this has not been confirmed as of today.
Many thanks for the correction. I have a concern
though and somewhat echoed by the creator of this
thread. It would seem that the present FEH eCVT
is not a serviceable component. From what I can
tell there are so few failures of these things, if any,
that even obtaining a spare replacement is difficult.
The eCVT especially. I wouldn't expect the local
Aamco transmission shop would be able to
repair it if there was a problem. I wish I could
get a conversation with the Service Manager
of the Yellow Cab Company in Manhattan.

Last edited by wilcal; 01-27-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by wilcal
Many thanks for the correction. I have a concern
though and somewhat echoed by the creator of this
thread. It would seem that the present FEH eCVT
is not a serviceable component. From what I can
tell there are so few failures of these things, if any,
that even obtaining a spare replacement is difficult.
The eCVT especially. I wouldn't expect the local
Aamco transmission shop would be able to
repair it if there was a problem. I wish I could
get a conversation with the Service Manager
of the Yellow Cab Company in Manhattan.
The only thing that is serviceable on our eCVT is a reflash of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) according to the wookshop manual. However, the manual states the same thing about the HV battery pack and Ford has already broken that rule by replacing a wiring harness and fans inside the pack.

GaryG

Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I logged on to My Ford Owner site and registered my FEH and reviewed the Maintenance Schedule. Thru 150K miles there is no recommended eCVT fluid change!

I'm on my third day of my second tank of gas and my avg mpg is showing 33.4 mpg. Of course I'm careful with my foot on the gas pedal, but considering I'm not driving city miles (<35 mph) nor driving highway miles (>55 mph) then I'll take this as a good sign considering the outside temps? We'll see if that lasts thru a whole tank...

Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Try short trips with daytime highs around zero. Last I checked my coolant and battery temps were about 32° and my tank mileage was in the low 20's.

Monday's forecast: high -9° and low -22°F. Tuesday's low is even colder.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast

Rick - been there, done that! Lived on the border of Quebec in up state NY when I was a kid. Most of January was highs of single digits (positive were "warm" days) and lows in the neg zone. Try driving a '66 VW Bug with no forced air heater - I used a windshield scraper ON THE INSIDE so I could see while driving

Good luck!

David

Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Anybody experiencing any changes or problems
with the steering in those really cold temps?
i.e the EPAS ( Electric Power-Assisted Steering )

Old 01-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wilcal
Anybody experiencing any changes or problems
with the steering in those really cold temps?
i.e the EPAS ( Electric Power-Assisted Steering )
You may have read the same post in another forum where a owner of a '09 FE EPAS didn't work at -20F but later did when the sun warmed it up. Their dealer stated that they had numerous similiar complaints.

Quick Reply: 08 FEH - 3 weeks of ownership, but questions remain

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands