Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

Change range of Y axis in MPG charts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Change range of Y axis in MPG charts?

When looking at the real mileage database, and clicking on my car, the plot of my mpg over time looks pretty similar, when in fact I've seen some big peaks and valleys in my history. Would it be possible to change the Y axis (mpg) to a smaller range so that these peaks and valleys don't appear so smoothed over?

The current chart (for my vehicle anyway) goes from 0-45. Since I'll never be close to zero mpg, can the bottom number be changed to 20 or something?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Change range of Y axis in MPG charts?

I often cut-and-paste from the web page into Excel and then chart as needed. I've also done a cut-and-paste from the web page source but you have to do some fancy Excel macros to 'normalize' the data.

The reason for using the page source is to get the time-stamps for each entry. This makes it easier to determine what part of the year each sample came from and remains one of my favorite suggestions . . . the ability to have all fields in fixed columns on the web page.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Site Founder

Originally Posted by Brady
When looking at the real mileage database, and clicking on my car, the plot of my mpg over time looks pretty similar, when in fact I've seen some big peaks and valleys in my history. Would it be possible to change the Y axis (mpg) to a smaller range so that these peaks and valleys don't appear so smoothed over?

The current chart (for my vehicle anyway) goes from 0-45. Since I'll never be close to zero mpg, can the bottom number be changed to 20 or something?
The graphs are configured to scale for each car. Unfortunately, the scaling isn't perfect because the same code is used for every car in the database… and there's a huge range of possible number values.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Bob- I took your advice and kicked the data out to Excel. It's interesting to see the trend with the cold weather and reduced miles per gallon.