View Poll Results: Toyota Owners: Would You Repeat Buy?
Yery Likely
68.97%
Likely
18.10%
I'd Give Them a Slight Preference
7.76%
I'd Prefer Another Brand
4.31%
I'd Never Get Another One
0.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Would You Buy a Toyota Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:15 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re: Would You Buy a Toyota Again?

I would give Toyota and Honda an advantage over other brands, but if I thought all things were equal,I would buy Honda.
I don't think it is an issue of disliking Toyota exactly ; it is more that other brands are positively "loved" by their owners-Honda-Volvo-Chevy,Ford and Dodge in respect to their trucks-VW, but only in respect to their TDI-.
Folks buy Toyota because they are reliable,and in general get good FE. If it ever comes to pass that other brands are viewed to be"as good as Toyota", I think Toyota will be in trouble.
They are viewed as a big soul-less,predatory, foreign corporation that makes reliable, FE, but dull vehicles. Their dealers are viewed as predatory,price gouging thieves. There is plenty of just below the surface ill will felt toward Toyota because of the practices of their dealers and distributors. They have taken advantage of the labor situation in the USA to push out USA corps.Fair enough, that is capitalism; but if they falter, there is no love for them in the USA.
I have owned
1969 Corolla station wagon-(my fathers, but I had it in school and ran it at 84 mph-WOT- for several 20 hours during trips from Baton Rouge to Denver-finally blew the headgasket, but it still ran(not so well-but it ran)
1976 truck
1985 Corolla
1 1986 truck
1994 truck
1998 truck
2001 Tundra
2001 Prizm(rebadged Corolla)
2006 Prius
They have all been reliable vehicles,but I just don't love Toyota.
I have owned just 2 Hondas-reliability about equal-but I would take a Honda-or most other brands-if all else was equal.
Honda, on the other hand, is positively loved. They know what is best for their buyers-airbags, no V-8, safety,FE, and that is what they produce. Toyota will sell you safety-in a Corolla for example- but it is very hard to find in the vehicles that need it most.They-and their dealers- make more profit selling some electronic BS, so that is easy to find.
Yes, I think carmakers do know more about what is important in a car than the average buyer.Honda gives you what you need-Toyota sells you BS they make you think you need. Charlie

Old 07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My TCH will be my third car, and my second "real" Toyota. I say "real" Toyota, because my first car was a 1986 Chevy Nova, which was a Corolla in Chevy clothing.

My father, grandmother, both sisters and one brother-in-law all drive Toyota vehicles. We've had very positive experiences.

When we started car shopping this time around we considered other manufacturer's vehicles, but my Toyota experience certainly played a part in my desire to have a Toyota.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I've owned a Tercel and an Echo in the past. I ALMOST bought the Prius, but the waiting list was to long, so I got a HCH instead.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

4 Camry's, a Prius, an MR2 and a V6 4WD Highlander ( plus Tacoma, Supra and Celica by my children )

Ahhh probably..

Old 07-24-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Geek

I am now on my third Toyota. My first car (hand-me-down from older sisters in high-school) was a '73 Datsun 610 (well before Nissan). Went from that to a '78 Toyota Celica GT. Awesome car, probably still running out there. Sold it at 250k miles when the original clutch was going out. Graduated college and wanted to give myself my first new car to celebrate, wound up getting a Plymouth Sundance. Good car, but it was no Toyota. In 1999, went back to Toyota and got a Corolla. Drove it for 7 years, and moved to Phoenix. It didn't like the change in climate out here and started having a few problems that truthfully I wasn't in the mood to deal with and fix. After 112k miles on it, I figured it was time for a new car, and am now the proud owner of a one-week old Prius. Doubt I'll own anythinig but a Toyota.

Our other car for the kids is a Dodge Caravan, would have loved a Sienna but couldn't swing it at the time we needed it. Now we're about ready for it, but we've decided to hold out until the Sienna is hybrid. Then we'll be a 2-Toyota/2-Hybrid family.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 AM

I had never owned a Toyota until Oct 2005 when I bought my Prius. The wife previously owned a 93 Corolla. I have to say part of it was wanting to keep jobs here in the U.S. I just couldn't stay with that conviction after seeing the Prius and what it offered. I really regret there was not a comparable U.S. version available (price, reliability, performance)

I liked the Prius so much I went out and bought her an 07 Yaris last month.
Hence my "Very Likely" answer in the poll. I know, first model year screams "Don't Do it" but I have not regretted it so far.

Me - 30,000 miles a year (currently (27,000 after 9.5 months)
Her - 5,000 miles a year (currently 600 after 1.5 months)

Not one single problem or rattle with either automobile yet.

Who can say what the future will bring, and I reserve the right to change my mind, but I can say at this time that Toyota will get first look and probably get the nod.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I purchase cars based on the price and what best meets my needs. I just purchased a Camry hybrid and love it so far. My only other Toyota was a 1982 Tercel that did well. In between I've owned a German car and four domestics, with mixed results. The only other car I own right now is a '97 Explorer which has been as reliable as any other car on the road. After 155,000 miles I've mainly had maintenance and replaced wear and tear items.

I would have gone for another domestic car, but Toyota is way out in front of the domestics on hybrids.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:01 AM

I voted with the majority, even though I am about to try to 'cash in' on the extended warranty on the 2001 Prius power steering. It gave the warning codes last Friday, first time, 92k miles.

If Toyota balks at free replacement I may have to move my vote down one notch.

DAS

Old 07-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

I bought my first Camry in 1984. With the exception of one year in an Accord..I've been in a Toyota since then. I currently own an '05 Prius. Toyota makes fine cars.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
They have taken advantage of the labor situation in the USA to push out USA corps.Fair enough, that is capitalism; but if they falter, there is no love for them in the USA.
Why can't Ford, GM, and Chrysler take advantage of the labor situation in the USA?

Oh, that's right-- while Ford, GM, and Chrysler are closing plants, Toyota is opening new ones. I guess they're capitalizing on the fact that highly-skilled auto workers are looking for jobs that the American companies won't give them because of their tendency to close plants and move them overseas...

Quick Reply: Would You Buy a Toyota Again?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands