What Kind of Gas Are You Using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What Kind of Gas Are You Using?

Originally Posted by gschoen
I never use the "super cheapie" that are much cheaper than everyone else, I've been told they purchase "out of code" gas that major manufacturers won't use anymore, and that's how they get their gas cheaper than say Speedway, Thortons, and the other "discount" brands.
I also avoid super cheap one-facility gas stations. Generally, it makes me think, why is this gas station's gas so cheap compared to others? Sometimes, things are too good to be true.

The hch manual also talks about this in the gas section, recommending drivers use recognized brand gas, and avoid the unknown ones. If Honda actually used the ink, space, and time to put it into the manual, I think its reasonably important.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Prior to Costco gas I used to run Arco fuel. They were always the least expensive in my area. They still are competitive, but right now they are still a few pennies higher than Safeway and Costco.

When I was going to college I used to purchase gas from a no-name station and found that the fuel was fine. I wouldn't be surprised that some one-off retailers might purchase bad quality gas, but this one didn't, just didn't subscribe to a particular name.

Gas is gas, what is worse than that is gas with water in it. Now, that is bad gas.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Prius <3r

I'm really glad I asked, I've learned a lot about gas, and now I can pass off my newfound knowledge to others, and pretend like I'm so dam smart.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think you mean ****. Or ****ed.

A 'Dam' is quite a different animal :-))

Old 04-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Prius <3r

I'm a structural engineer. I know my dam's. Actually, I'm not, but some forums censor ****, so I've been in the habit of leaving off the "n" either way I'm **** smart and dam smart.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:05 PM

Better to be lucky

Old 05-28-2005, 01:51 AM
Enthusiast

OK, so I didn't read up on this first and I put 91 octane in the tank. The mpg tanked (pun intended).

I have about 1/2 tank left -- should I run it down and then refill with 87? Or should I do it now?

Old 05-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'd run it down and then refill.

I use regular gas only - as long as the octane rating is listed at 87. I have been to a few stations where the octane ratinsg are lower (usually somewhere in the boonies), such as 86 and once I even saw 85. In those instances I fill up with the appropriate level that is at least 87.

M

Old 05-29-2005, 04:59 AM

Yeh, lucky bastards! I'm still having to use ~92 in my crummy '91 Colt since it's pretty high compression, and it guzzles gas, as compared to the hybrids.

My parents only use 87 in their 2001 Prius and it's never had any problems. Probably 100% brand name gas, there are very few indy station left here.

If your car needs the lower octane, then re-fill it with some 87, or 85 if there's some and it will bring the octane down. Gasoline is mixed at the pump, the tankers usually only carry 2 grades and stations only have 2 types in tanks, so mixing different octane fuels is not going to cause any kind of problems because that's how different grades are made.

Last edited by Schwa; 05-29-2005 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

And just fill your car whenever it's convenient. 91 isn't going to hurt the Prius, it just costs more and doesn't provide any benefit. Some have claimed higher octane gave them better mileage, but that'd be a hard trick to pull off since the octane boosting additives give less total energy than the lower octane gas, plus the car's not designed for it.

Quick Reply: What Kind of Gas Are You Using?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands