Used car lots with Prius

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Used car lots with Prius

Hello everyone,
Been looking at the Toyota line for a few weeks now. Something I have noticed is that almost every lot I was on had 1-5 used Prius. Most had under 25k miles.
Some lots had more used than new. Any comments??
We did buy a TCH, waiting to drive off the lot in 20 days.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Used car lots with Prius

Originally Posted by ibdave
Hello everyone,
Been looking at the Toyota line for a few weeks now. Something I have noticed is that almost every lot I was on had 1-5 used Prius. Most had under 25k miles.
Some lots had more used than new. Any comments??
. . .
Names, addresses and phone numbers of these lots?

Bob Wilson

Old 07-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

I'm in the central valley of California. Here you go.. Most were in the $25k...
http://www.modestotoyota.com/ou/mode...a/?make=toyota
http://www.rosevilletoyota.com/
http://www.tracytoyota.com/

Old 07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Maybe CA dealers are importing because of HOV sticker?

I haven't seen that here in Louisiana.Maybe CA dealers know that CA buyers will pay waaaaay more that the rest of us for used Prius because of the HOV deal. The prices-$25000 for used cars that cost less than that new indicate that the dealers figure there is a demand for them.They might be trucking them in from nearby states. If CA suckers buyers will pay $2000 more than the rest of us, then it is worth the $700 trucking charge to bring them from1500- 2000 miles away. CA folks do appear to pay more than the rest of us(and leave deposits with multiple dealers ??).CA is a different market.
I have also noticed that CA-Sacramento in particular- seems to be Salvage Prius Central.There are at least 10 waaaay overpriced Salvaged Prius(2004+) on Ebay now-almost everyone is in CA. I guess these salvage POS qualify for the HOV sticker.
Funny, no other CA members mentioned the 5 used Prius per lot, and they actively hunt Prius?? Luck,Charlie

Old 07-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, the 04 MY is a good 3 years under foot now. Some of the used Prii from MY 04 could possibly be from fleets which liquidate their cars quickly. Some are from people who have this strange desire to trade cars every 2 years regardless of how badly they take it in the pants. And some may be salvage. However, aren't there restrictions on the resale of a salvage title vehicle?

We are at the point where used Prii are going to be showing up on lots and some are going to be particularly good cars for those that only purchase used, and some will be like many used cars, a pig in a poke.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Engineering first

Thanks!
Originally Posted by ibdave
I'm in the central valley of California. Here you go.. Most were in the $25k...
http://www.modestotoyota.com/ou/mode...a/?make=toyota
http://www.rosevilletoyota.com/
http://www.tracytoyota.com/
I like to follow the market and in my neck of the woods, used Prius are about as common as a sensible politician. It is good to see them available.

I was pleased to see a 2003 Prius with 107,000 miles. I'm at 64,000 miles with my 03 and like to know how far others have taken them.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Both my test drive & my wife's were on used Prii on the lot at Toyota of Augusta, GA. I drove an 06 with 8k miles, she drove an 05 with 12k. Both were supposedly traded in by military people traveling overseas, but that's just the story from the sales dept, so I don't put much stock in that. No way to know why they really came back. I do know that both were gone within three days, and they dropped 2k off the price of the 05 trying to sell it to me.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I would guess we should start seeing a fair amount of '03 Prius and Civics on the used lots as 36 and 39 month leases expire.

That they are getting $25K for them suprises me.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

asking and getting (prices) are not always the same.
my initial guess is that some traded "up" for a larger Toyota - say a truck, a Sienna, a Highlander, etc. Some probably found it didn't suit their taste - I think that's more likely the case. I see lots all the time with many cars only 2-3 years old - of all makes.
But I also don't believe many used hybrids wait for a new owner for a very long time. If GM could sell their new cars as fast as used Prius / Civic Hybrids normally do they'd have a lot less problems[off the subject slightly].

Old 07-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Used car lots with Prius

Originally Posted by RX8Daniel
. . . If GM could sell their new cars as fast as used Prius / Civic Hybrids normally do they'd have a lot less problems[off the subject slightly].
GM could offer a lottery with large vehicle sales of a chance for a free Prius or Civic . . .

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Used car lots with Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands