Two weeks old 2006 Prius only runs 40MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Two weeks old 2006 Prius only runs 40MPG

My 2 weeks old new Prius loaded w/package #8, it's very nice car but only run 35-40 MPG (about 70% runs on locally), does this appeared normal on a new hybrid car or any comment or advise on this??
thanks much........

Old 09-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Nut
Default Re: Two weeks old 2006 Prius only runs 40MPG

Are you taking a lot of short trips? If so, try to put them together so that the cooling fluid doesn't have to be re-heated to operating temperature.

When you turn off the engine, the fluid is dumped into a "thermos". You can hear the pump operating after you turn off the car. If you restart within a few minutes (perhaps someone knows how long), the fluid is still hot.

Are you accelerating quickly? That can cut down on mpg. Are you driving on battery ("stealth" mode)? Under ~40 mph, you can run on battery alone and that increases mpg considerably.

The computer is making adjustments based on your driving style. It may take a month or so for it to settle in.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Two weeks old 2006 Prius only runs 40MPG

Hi,

Originally Posted by super80
My 2 weeks old new Prius loaded w/package #8, it's very nice car but only run 35-40 MPG (about 70% runs on locally), does this appeared normal on a new hybrid car or any comment or advise on this??
How about taking the Prius FAQ and listing how you're doing against the recommendations:

1) Preservation of momentum
2) Use of warm-up route on first trip
3) Use of EV mode when approaching destination
4) Chaining trips
5) Speed into headwinds or following (not drafting) trucks
6) Separation of commuting versus weekend MPG
7) Single variable changes tested
8) Use of cruise control
9) Parking in shade in summer
10) Parking to 'drive out' when you leave
11) What is engine oil level
12) What is the tire pressure
13) Using "B" instead of recommended "D"
14) Tires: some reports of new cars having an alignment problem.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PriusNut
Are you taking a lot of short trips? If so, try to put them together so that the cooling fluid doesn't have to be re-heated to operating temperature.

When you turn off the engine, the fluid is dumped into a "thermos". You can hear the pump operating after you turn off the car. If you restart within a few minutes (perhaps someone knows how long), the fluid is still hot.

Are you accelerating quickly? That can cut down on mpg. Are you driving on battery ("stealth" mode)? Under ~40 mph, you can run on battery alone and that increases mpg considerably.

The computer is making adjustments based on your driving style. It may take a month or so for it to settle in.
How to drive in "stealth mode" under 40mph?? I only notify that stealth mode only works under around 20-25mph, any speed above that will activate the gas engine!! any further advise ??
thanks

Old 09-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Engineering first

How to drive in "stealth mode" under 40mph?? I only notify that stealth mode only works under around 20-25mph, any speed above that will activate the gas engine!! any further advise ??
Wiith my NHW11, 03 Prius, I set the cruise control for 35-38 mph and if the road is flat and the battery well charged, the vehicle automaticly goes into stealth. It can also do it up to ~42 mph but it is less frequent. But once you reach 42 mph, you'll be running the engine regardless.

On the cruise control, set and reach 1 mph over your target. Then pat the cruise control stalk down once to get a 1 mph decrease. If you have enough battery power, this is all it takes.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 09-12-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Nut

I accelerate using the gas engine, then pull my foot of the pedal for a second. Then apply pressure gently. When I look at the energy flow, there's just energy coming from the battery, nothing from the ICE. I can manage that up to 40 mph when running on level ground.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast

From a non-techno driver, here is what I learned about getting great mileage: it takes TIME to learn what your car responds to. I get 63 mpg on my 30 mile round trip drive to the barn daily, which is suburban and rural in nature. There are sections of this trip where I can run on stealth for long distances. We just went on a 500 plus mile trip and got 51 mpg overall. The killer was the NC speed limit of 70. We decided to do the speed limit the whole trip, where generally I drive for MPG!

My husband is intimidated by my mpg so is reluctant to drive our Prius (still under 3k miles). At some point I'll probably not be so focused on that and just enjoy the car's general gas savings!

Old 09-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

My wife gets about the same. She runs the a/c all the time and drives mainly short trips. If you are running the air a lot and doing mainly city driving, that is what you can expect.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast

thanks much........
Yes, we're still getting only about 45 mpg even in summer. This is with pumped up tires, a light foot and stealth driving. Short trips are hell on mileage, especially if you have hills involved. The bummer of it is that I have a friend with a VW TDI that does nothing special at all and gets the same mileage.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by BeGreen
Yes, we're still getting only about 45 mpg even in summer. This is with pumped up tires, a light foot and stealth driving. Short trips are hell on mileage, especially if you have hills involved. The bummer of it is that I have a friend with a VW TDI that does nothing special at all and gets the same mileage.
I was looking at your tanks and noticed your temperatures are what we typically see as fall and winter in N. Alabama. Then I went back and noticed only the first five tanks. Not recording MPG any longer?

I think your easiest and best bet is an electric block heater. This will get your ICE to operating temperature sooner. By getting the first trip pre-warmed, your later trips will be improved. For example, I now take a lunch break and sometimes a mid-afternoon snack break. These short, 5-10 minute trips keep the engine and transaxle warm for my evening commute so without the block heater, I only suffer the morning warm-up hit.

Given your short trips, it will be a challenge. My morning commute is 20 minutes but I can tell most of the savings comes from the last 10 minutes. With temperatures of 70F, I'm seeing two 'warm-up' bars on the MFD were the first two starts low, ~32 MPG, and the second one higher, ~42 MPG. It is the last two bars on my morning commute where I get my best mileage.

Do you have a lot of rain? I've noticed rain is also a mileage hit from both the drag and cooling effects. I don't know what can be done about it other than keeping speeds down. But some folks have tried partial air blocks on the radiator inlets. You can find foam 'logs' that can easily be cut to size and stuffed in.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 09-28-2006 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Two weeks old 2006 Prius only runs 40MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands