Touring - are they really gone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Touring - are they really gone?

Originally Posted by 2007Touring
I have been looking at the Prius for over two years but found the models kind of crampy and I really wanted a leather seat model with all the bells and whistles.

Other Prius owners do notice too and I refer to it as a scaled down Lexus!
The Touring version is no bigger inside than the regular Prius. The only thing different are the wheels, suspension and rear spoiler. So I'm not sure how it can be compared to as a scaled down lexus or less crampy than the regular Prius.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Resist
The Touring version is no bigger inside than the regular Prius. The only thing different are the wheels, suspension and rear spoiler. So I'm not sure how it can be compared to as a scaled down lexus or less crampy than the regular Prius.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Enthusiast

I guess it is just purely aesthetic then..I can definately FEEL a difference with this model. I will tell you the handling is great.

When I drove other Prius models, they just didn't drive the same as the Touring. Nevertheless, they are all great cars no matter which Prius you drive. The Touring just works for me.

-Ken

Old 02-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Whatever!

Others didn't have to react hostile to me when I said it could easily be done cheaper too.
Resist: My comment to your post was negative because I thought you were commenting on the thread starter, not on the issue of turning a non-T into a Touring. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't agree with your thesis, but I'm not "hostile" to it.

I was willing to pay a few extra bucks for the Touring, but I couldn't get the color and package combo I wanted at close to the price I could get the non-T for. So.....

If a buyer is flexible on color and package, they can get a Touring model for the same as the non-Touring. I was not willing to compromise, however.

Thus, maybe I will be in the market for your cheap upgrade path.

For now, I am fine with the non-T model. I just make U-turns a little slower than I would in the touring model (that's the only place I could feel a real difference during the 20-minute or so test drive)

Then again, I'd probably spend the $$ on window tinting, instead.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2007Touring
I guess it is just purely aesthetic then..I can definately FEEL a difference with this model. I will tell you the handling is great.
I'm not saying the Touring model doesn't feel different because a tuned suspension can definately make a difference. It's just that both the regular and touring models have the same interior and exterior dimensions, minus the wheel sizes and rear spoiler.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I test drove a Touring yesterday and there is a difference - the "turn-in" response definitely feels crisper and the car does not lean quite as much. Ride quality did not seem negatively impacted - perhaps a tiny bit harsher over sharp pavement irregularities, but hardly noticeable.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 AM

Again....a tuned suspension will make any vehicle feel better.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Touring - are they really gone?

Hi,
Again....a tuned suspension will make any vehicle feel better.
Is there an empirical description of a 'tuned suspension'?

The reason I ask is in researching tire alignment, I found my best sources in some of the racing forums. They really take temperature based, alignment to a fine art that I can appreciate. But I'm getting the impression there is something called a 'tuned suspension' and am interested in reading up on it.

The reason for my interest is I discovered last weekend that the MacPherson strut dust guard pleats on my 03 Prius, 78,000 miles, have broken on the passenger side. Although the strut continues to work, it is probably just a matter of time and the repair action for a failed dust guard is pretty much the same as a replacement. Rather than just use an OEM part, it makes sense to research what might be done to improve the suspension.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 02-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Typically, (at least in my experience) when a manufacturer states they have a "tuned" suspension, it refers to a set of modifications designed to work together in improving handling over the standard model, but within the generally accepted parameters for that model, ie. minimal sacrifice to practicality. Similar to European handling objectives.

They generally start with +1 tires/wheels which are one size wider, lower profile, 1" larger rim - but same overall height. Then usually slightly firmer shocks, at least on rebound dampening, and possibly a stiffer set of anti-sway bars. In some cases, they may even go so far as to put stiffer springs and suspension bushings in place but I doubt the Prius mods are that comprehensive.

The term "tuned" implies that the components were designed and tested to work together for best results, and not just a bunch of add-ons. This is why I tend to go for manufacturer packages if offered, rather than adding on later. Not to mention cost of doing it right the first time. However if you already have the car, there are a couple things that almost always help:

Plus one tires/wheels, followed by quality shocks/struts, with possibly a slight firmer spring rate if offered. This will make a noticeable difference in handling and there is probably no need to go further than that. I have done this on a couple of my Saabs and it makes a huge difference, although ultimately I end up wanting stiffer springs to better take advantage of the wider tires. One thing leads to another...

Last edited by jrb_nw; 02-23-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

Bought an 07 Touring model at Barber in Fairfield, CA last weekend. Package #6 in Seaside Pearl and black interior. Price was way below MSRP, and best price I could find in the North Bay area for any Prius...
I love this little beast. The suspension reminds me of the old VW Rabbit which I spent $k's on tuning - and then the GTi version was released. Nimble, tracks well, and since much of my driving is in the coastal mountain ranges of Napa and Sonoma, this is important. And my first 3/4 tank got me 44.6 mpg...
During the search and negotiations for this vehicle, the one story which was common to the sales pitches trying to point me to a standard model was that Toyota had so many standard available in the US, that they were cutting back on the Touring model and holding the pricing.

Quick Reply: Touring - are they really gone?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands