Tax deduction or credit in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tax deduction or credit in U.S.

I have often used this parable in this & smilar situations (dodn't use in reply to Bippy since you had already posted!_

Originally Posted by foo monkey
Matthew 20:1-16

The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard

1"For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire men to work in his vineyard. 2He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard. 3"About the third hour he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4He told them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.' 5So they went.

"He went out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour and did the same thing. 6About the eleventh hour he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?'

7" 'Because no one has hired us,' they answered.
"He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.'

8"When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.'

9"The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. 10So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12'These men who were hired last worked only one hour,' they said, 'and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.' 13"But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? 14Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?'

16"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Old 03-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Make a gas pump lonely!

Bippy,

I feel for you! The same energy bill that contains the credit for Hybrids also contains a credit for installing energy efficient furnaces, windows, etc. During the end part of 05' I replace the drafty old windows in my house with new windows (at the cost of a new Prius - ouch!). I can't claim a credit for the windows either. The upside -- I was a LOT warmer this winter and have lower gas bills!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Catskillguy
I have often used this parable in this & smilar situations (dodn't use in reply to Bippy since you had already posted!_

After 2000 years of edits, I find Matthew 20:1-16 is the most eloquent way of saying, "You got what you got. Now SFTU and quit your *****ing, you whiney *****."

Last edited by Jason; 03-27-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:51 PM

Why all the fuss, the Prius pays for itself easy and fast in simple fuel savings right?, no need for a deduction let alone a credit.

Why should the government subsidize such an in demand product?
Suddenly all the "I bought it for the earth" sounds bogus.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:45 AM
Engineering first

Since I bought my 03 Prius used:
Originally Posted by worthywads
Why all the fuss, the Prius pays for itself easy and fast in simple fuel savings right?, no need for a deduction let alone a credit.
I get no deduction, credits and in Alabama, any other government savings. Yet my fuel savings are covering the hybrid premium. In fact, my per diem mileage has payed for over $200 in gas.

Why should the government subsidize such an in demand product?
There are about 130,000 good reasons located in Iraq. Then al Quada knows if they can topple the House of Saud; Chavez in Venezula gets clever; the Mexican government decides we need open borders; or the Canadians decide to bundle oil with timber and fish. As long as our country imports significant amounts of oil, we'll remain vulnerable to oil import politics.

Suddenly all the "I bought it for the earth" sounds bogus.
The sea level continues to rise and recent data indicates the rate is increasing. Denial of green house gas science is like the old tale of the Celtic King who command the 'tide' to stop . . . he drowned. Been to New Orleans recently?

Bob Wilson

Old 03-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Make a gas pump lonely!
Lightbulb Re: Tax deduction or credit in U.S.

It's important to note that after a given car maker has sold 60,000 hybrid vehicles, the 2006 tax credit begins phasing out, reducing the chance buyers late in the year will get the same break as those who buy in the early in the year.

There are several Senators working on bills that would lift the 60,000 unit cap, but nothing is final yet. I'm sure this is not news to everyone, but it may be to some.

The Union of Concerned Scientists' site HybridCenter.org has more information and a email/letter writing campaign to urge congress to lift the cap. http://ucsaction.org/campaign/02_01_hybrid_tax_credit.

Last edited by sipsgas; 03-27-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Since I bought my 03 Prius used:I get no deduction, credits and in Alabama, any other government savings. Yet my fuel savings are covering the hybrid premium. In fact, my per diem mileage has payed for over $200 in gas.
Great, I hope you paid a decent price, obviously at least one person, you, didn't need a government incentive to decide the purchase made sense to you. I don't believe you're alone.

There are about 130,000 good reasons located in Iraq. Then al Quada knows if they can topple the House of Saud; Chavez in Venezula gets clever; the Mexican government decides we need open borders; or the Canadians decide to bundle oil with timber and fish. As long as our country imports significant amounts of oil, we'll remain vulnerable to oil import politics.
It's an "in demand car". Are people on waiting lists and paying above MSRP because of the government incentives or not? I assume you believe we should open ANWR and all the off shore oil reserves that have been closed off to oil extraction. Fuel efficiency is only 1 part of a comprehensive attempt at reducing imported oil dependency, hybrids can't do it all.

The sea level continues to rise and recent data indicates the rate is increasing. Denial of green house gas science is like the old tale of the Celtic King who command the 'tide' to stop . . . he drowned. Been to New Orleans recently?

Bob Wilson
You assume I deny green house gas science, incorrectly. But if the ocean in the gulf of mexico was 2 feet lower New Orleans would have still flooded.

I assume those that are buying "to save the earth" don't care about whether they get a deduction or a credit, you didn't. Seems to be some people saying "I'd buy a hybrid incentive or not, but we need government incentives because there aren't enough people like me". Must be those that are complaining about not getting enough subsides don't believe that hybrids can stand on there own. Or they want to save the earth with someone else's money.

I had a less noble reason to buy a relatively underpowered 2.7L truck that gets 27+mpg compared to the 4L that can't hope to get better than 18. I'm cheap. Should I be pissed that I didn't get a subsidy too, no. I see no difference between my truck choice and a hybrid choice, but don't support subsidizing either.