Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

Originally Posted by andergd
It is the plastic piece that fits over the passenger seat hinge latch/spring.
That is the same piece I ultimately figured out was causing the noise in my Prius. I would rather not have to break the tab to get it off but if I can't get it off no other way, then I will. I just can't take this seat squeaking any longer.

Toyota are you listening?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:11 PM

I found out how to take the plastic cover off without breaking that clip! Unfortunately I discovered how after breaking the clip.

There is another cover that the clip is inserted to. On the seat side of this cover and at the bottom is a screw. Take the screw out and you can take that cover off which allows you to remove the side plastic cover without breaking the clip. I took pictures but have no place to post them.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21580284@N03/

Here are the pictures.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Resist
What type of screw head, slotted, Phillips?

Would this require a 'short handled' or 90 degree driver to reach?

Once removed by taking out the screw, could the insert that broke off be eased out of the socket that holds it?

Where was the rubbing?

Bob Wilson

Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 AM

Phillips head and nothing special to reach it, look for yourself. I guess you could bend out the broken clip, I just left mine in as it was not an issue. The rubbing is by the tabs under the trim piece. Refer to my pictures.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Resist
Phillips head and nothing special to reach it, look for yourself. I guess you could bend out the broken clip, I just left mine in as it was not an issue. The rubbing is by the tabs under the trim piece. Refer to my pictures.
Thanks for the tip, I too had the squeaky noise. I removed the two screws for the plastic trim pieces, and jiggled the assembly to remove both the smaller and larger pieces off. I wasn't sure what surfaces were making contact, but I think the squeaky bit is in fact where the back of the larger trim piece makes contact with the plastic part on the seat rail (located at the back end of the rail). Will post pictures when I can. I put masking tape between these two sections, no squeaks so far. The section can be taped without taking any of the plastic trim pieces off.

BE CAREFUL when putting the screws back on, they're easy to lose! One of mine rolled off under the seat and into the black hole between the car floor and the protective pan underneath the car... luckily I had a replacement screw that fit in its place.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast

I'm glad I found this forum. I purchased my 2008 Prius a week ago and my passenger seat is squeaking! The symptoms are exactly as this thread describes it. It squeaks when it's cool outside and I live in San Antonio, Texas, so I hear the squeak in the early cool mornings.

I'm glad to have print out this thread and the TSB to show to the dealer, as the Toyota dealer didn't believe me. The Toyota Repair Service Shop has never seen/heard of this problem so I'm glad I showed him the TSB. I even showed him the pictures I found on this thread so thank you for posting that. Hopefully he can fix the problem as my car is definatley under warranty. My dealer and Repair Service is Alamo Toyota.

Any information or advice would be appreciated

Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Doesn't it just figure that any Toyota service shop has never heard of this issue.

The TSB doesn't address the noise issue I had.

Last edited by Resist; 03-01-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

I am experiencing a squeak as well but it is the drivers seat and happens when there is pressure placed on the seat back, such as sitting in the chair. I can reproduce it when the car is still just by pushing on the seat back. It seems to happen more frequently when it is cold outside. Which part do you think is causing this problem. My car is still under warranty but I would like to avoid the frequent visits to the dealership as that takes up too much time. If I can fix the problem myself, that would be much more convenient. Thanks
Joyce

Old 05-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

OMG! Thank you! I've been dealing with the squeak since I bought my Prius last August. The dealer says he doesn't know of anything like it...I'm thinking he's full of it. Where is the best place to send email to Toyota for action?

Quick Reply: Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands