Some winter!! observations

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Some winter!! observations

Well, true winter is here. Ambient temps have been hovering between -15 and -20C for that past two weeks, with apparently another week to go.

Starting:- I'm impressed. Probably due to the very high power MG used and the very high voltage with high capacity "traction battery" (about double the energy of a large passenger car lead acid battery), the car has no trouble starting the ICE. Note that "normally" the ICE starts about 5-7 sec. after I press "Start". With the coolant around 0C or below, it starts about 2-4 sec after. I can't even get the car out of the garage before it starts.

Warmup:- The car will warm up to about 40C when idling. With the climate control set for "auto", the fan doesn't start until the coolant gets to about 45C. It blows cool but not cold air. When the coolant gets to 50C it blows nice hot air. Now, this means to warm the car up you pretty much have to be driving. Note that this occurs with non-hybrid 1500cc all aluminum engine equipped cars as well. My car consumes 1 litre per hour when idling and cold. I have to drive about 6 blocks before the coolant gets to 50C. Not bad. It's just frustrating if you have to sit at a light before it is warm, shivering in the car. Once warm the engine will cool slowly at a light whether the ICE is running or not, with ambients of -20C. Once you warm up the engine the car is very comfortable.

Traction control:- I have proper winter capable tires (Nokian WR). When starting out on ice I hold the throttle down a bit and wait while the car tries to go. After about two tries it gets going on the third.

Anti-Lock brakes:- Again, I have good tires. I haven't noticed the anti-lock tripping so far, driving my usual "energy efficient" way. I'm sure it would if I slammed on the brakes.

Noise:- Well, when this cold (and colder - we expect to see lots of -40C weather as well next month), all cars tend to be noisy. The Prius is no exception. The plastic interior panels rattle away now, something I never heard in the summer or fall.

Mileage:- OK, so it uses more fuel. Still much better than other vehicles I've experienced. For example, last winter I rented a small Suzuki. It guzzled 12 l/100 km in temps like we have now. The anti-Prius I owned last winter used 17 l/100 km . My Prius is currently using 5.8 l/100 km or 40 MPG US.

All in all, less excitement than I was led to believe I would experience. It IS fun watching how the car behaves in the cold!

Measurements taken with a Scangauge II and confirmed at fillup time.

Last edited by David Beale; 12-03-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast
Wink Re: Some winter!! observations

Now I know why Rich (Pravus Prime) always was so sad when the weather cooled off. My mpg went from 62 to 46 in this cold snap. I am trying not to do any short trips and combine trips. Tonight I have a meeting and may wait until my dh comes home with his Focus so I can drive a warm car!

We had a snow storm Saturday and my Prius (2008) had its first test. Did very well, saw the traction control light come on several times in some very icy conditions. I guess I really have to slow down my acceleration to avoid that traction control light from coming on. oops!
I did use the antilock brakes--I was pulling up to a major intersection and I was on ice--not going very fast, but had to stop. I was very happy with the way it handled.

I've noticed some squeaking too, but every car I've had squeaked in cold weather--I guess all that stuff gets brittle when it's cold. In fact, I could tell the outside temp when certain things squeaked in my Focus!

I'm still learning but I must say, I really like my Prius.

Prius Prime

Old 12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Some winter!! observations

Originally Posted by Prius Prime
Now I know why Rich (Pravus Prime) always was so sad when the weather cooled off. My mpg went from 62 to 46 in this cold snap. I am trying not to do any short trips and combine trips. Tonight I have a meeting and may wait until my dh comes home with his Focus so I can drive a warm car!

We had a snow storm Saturday and my Prius (2008) had its first test. Did very well, saw the traction control light come on several times in some very icy conditions. I guess I really have to slow down my acceleration to avoid that traction control light from coming on. oops!
I did use the antilock brakes--I was pulling up to a major intersection and I was on ice--not going very fast, but had to stop. I was very happy with the way it handled.
Great report!

Originally Posted by Prius Prime
I've noticed some squeaking too, but every car I've had squeaked in cold weather--I guess all that stuff gets brittle when it's cold. In fact, I could tell the outside temp when certain things squeaked in my Focus!
One of the members noticed there is a squeak that comes from the plastic covers of the seat hinge. Apparently the internal plastic can rub against the seat hinge and cause a squeak. He also discovered how to get the plastic cover off without break the tab. If you figure out that one of the squeaks comes from the hinge cover, you might consider taking in his photos and asking the service manager to see if they can 'get rid of this squeak.'

Still, it sounds like you are having a great time!

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Some winter!! observations

I've read postings by those who should know that "stage 4" isn't enabled until the coolant reaches 60C. In my car it appears it's closer to 66C. Stage 4 is when the ICE can shut down at lights or even when cruising below 66 km/hr. Interesting that it's 66C and 66 km/hr. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

I have now tripped the anti-lock brakes - often. We are in a "warmer" period right now, so the streets can be treacherous! Snowing and freezing rain from time to time. Slush and ice on the roads. Temps now up to 0 to -5C. After three weeks of -15 to -20C. Nice!

Mileage on this tank now down to 6.1 l/100km (or is that up to ). Last time I filled up the MFD was pessimistic, so perhaps I'm doing better than that. We'll see next week when I do my monthly fillup.

I love this car.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Some winter!! observations

Originally Posted by David Beale
I've read postings by those who should know that "stage 4" isn't enabled until the coolant reaches 60C. In my car it appears it's closer to 66C. Stage 4 is when the ICE can shut down at lights or even when cruising below 66 km/hr. Interesting that it's 66C and 66 km/hr. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

. . .
Curious. On my NHW11, 2001-03 Prius, the coolant has to reach 70C before any of the stages can occur. The most critical appears to be getting the 'shutdown at a stop.'

For this last stage, if stopped at a traffic light, I notice the ICE will spin up to put a 'charge on the battery.' But if I slip it into "N", the ICE rpm goes down within 3-5 seconds to under 1,000 rpm. I'll wait another ~5 seconds and put it in "D" and many times, the ICE will go ahead and shutdown and the warm-up stages are complete. So far, this has worked every time unless the light changes and I have to drive off.

Bob Wilson

ps. I agree, these cars are great!