Some general questions for the prius...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Some general questions for the prius...

First of all i was wondering why we are averaging much better current mpg when driving around 65-70mph than from 30-40 even though that should be reverse on a normal or hybrid car. btw the 65-70mph avg mpg is around 50-70, but the one from the city speeds are 17-35mpg.
Second how do u make the car automatically lock the car when it is either starting the engine or when it reaches a certain speed?
Last since we BOUGHT the car when there was a lease available i was wondering if most ya would rather lease or buy the car since my mom says that there are more benefits that buying has over lease.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Some general questions for the prius...

Hi,
Originally Posted by Jaqueh
First of all i was wondering why we are averaging much better current mpg when driving around 65-70mph than from 30-40 even though that should be reverse on a normal or hybrid car.
There is a critical speed, ~42 mph, that marks the boundary between low-speed, gas-or-electric mode, and above this, gas only mode. If you can stay either well below 42 mph or above 42 mph, you'll see much better performance than if you transit this speed frequently. This is why I recommend driving 0-38 mph or 50+ mph. As for 50+ mph, I recommend making sure you have at least a mile or more run so you don't have to pay the acceleration fuel cost only to lose it decelerating.

btw the 65-70mph avg mpg is around 50-70, but the one from the city speeds are 17-35mpg.
It is also important to warm-up the car with minimal speeds on the first drive in the morning. I take a longer route through my neighborhood at under 25 mph for the first 1-2 miles in the morning before higher speeds (usually 3-5 minutes.) This brings the engine to efficient operating temperatures and the rest of the day is much better.

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius

Second how do u make the car automatically lock the car when it is either starting the engine or when it reaches a certain speed?
Last since we BOUGHT the car when there was a lease available i was wondering if most ya would rather lease or buy the car since my mom says that there are more benefits that buying has over lease.
Sorry, I can't help you there.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 02-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

well thanks a lot ill keep that in mind
and i think that that thing of locks is quite bothersome
does that ever bother u?

Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Engineering first

. . . i think that that thing of locks is quite bothersome does that ever bother u?
My wife and I are older and the dog has yet to figure out how to open the doors (but she it working on the windows.) But I can sympathize, especially families with kids, would find automatic door looks to be desirable. The design would be trivial and it may yet be some obscure feature I've not stumbled across.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 02-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

yes but im wondering why can toyota make such a great car but not add that feature

Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Newbie Greenie

well thanks a lot ill keep that in mind and i think that that thing of locks is quite bothersome does that ever bother u?
There are many of us on the other side of this as well (and perhaps in the majority) that really dislike automatic door locks. If you are like me and make numerous short trips in the day, having to constantly unlock the car in order to get out (or have my passengers constantly having to remember to unlock the doors) is just a hassle/frustration I don't need.

I also consider it a safety issue if you need to exit the car quickly in the event of an accident. This issue is compounded if the locks run off the electrical system and that system fails.

FWIW

UTpiper

Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
DGH
Enthusiast

http://www.coastaletech.com/auto_door_lock.htm

Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

I'm also guessing your low urban MPGs were due to the engine not being warmed up (or some other factor). After all the guys who did over 100MPG for a whole tank were driving around 30-40 mph, and they certainly knew where to get the best MPG.

Last edited by Karkus; 02-06-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

i dont know if it is worth 65$+ effort
AND WHAT PERSONS DONT LIKE THE AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCK??!?
USually the doors automatically unlock when the passenger opens the door OR when the car engine is shut down! besides most automatic door locks use mechanical tech not elec.
and what IDIOT doesnt know how to unlock a door if he is stuck somewhere?? IF someone can open a door they can certaintly unlock the lock? Or is that person u if it is, try to get aquainted by opening the doors in your house.
DONT say that the locks opening are automatic because most of them just use a simple lever and pulley...
WHO DOESNT LIKE auto door locks?

And reread my qyestion karkus i never said the mpg was "bad".

Old 02-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

First of all i was wondering why we are averaging much better current mpg when driving around 65-70mph than from 30-40 even though that should be reverse on a normal or hybrid car.
Takes more fuel to keep the vehicle going at slower speeds. At a higher mph the momentum allows for less fuel to keep that speed.

Quick Reply: Some general questions for the prius...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands