Slowing terrorism down with a hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Slowing terrorism down with a hybrid

Came across an intersting Blog article with this threads title on the EVWorld Website

http://www.evworld.com/blogs/index.c...d=54&blogid=99

Originally Posted by Article
Purchasing a vehicle which is adequate for 90% of one’s needs, rather than purchasing a vehicle which is suitable for 99% of one’s wants, is where the future must be if we are to not squander all of the resources and therefore take away a decent level of living standard from our children and our grandchildren and our great-grandchildren. In fact, I submit to you all that if you look at what your true needs are, that a new Honda Civic hybrid or new Toyota Prius hybrid is likely to be able to handle virtually all of it, and if not, then perhaps in approximately a year, when and if Toyota and or Honda finally bring out a hybrid minivan or crossover with 7 or 8 seats (in North America), you should have a vehicle available to handle your needs. ..... So, what has this to do with the title of the piece? Well, if everyone in the United States drove a suitable hybrid vehicle, within a decade, we could cease imports of oil from nations which, apparently, seek to destroy our nation, our freedom and our way of life.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned
Default Re: Slowing terrorism down with a hybrid

The article reinterates much of Keith Bradshier's The High and Mighty - large trucks and SUV's are not as safe as they seem, but the reptilian desires of the general public just ignore it.

Renting a truck just for the occasions you need it makes lots of sense for most Americans since they live in the city....

Old 11-15-2005, 01:35 PM
my other car is a FJORD

i really was having a similar thought as i chugged to work in the cold rain today. our cars have become so much more than just transportation, and so many people feel them as an extension of their power. if we could reduce that just a little, maybe they could realize that you can get there safer and more economically. ya just don't need every single bell and whistle they make. and why in the sam hill does one person need to drive a truck the size of my living room just to go to work???? this is what we need to work to change. however, as the price of gas goes back up, which will all know it will, the alternatives will start looking good again to those who were dropping a hundred dollars just to fill their ride.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:21 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default ReWhy didn't he buy an Echo-same mpg-half the price.

Interesting article,but a bit too preachy.Why didn't he buy an Echo?They get about the same mpg as a Prius,and certainly would satisfy 90% of his need,right??Instead he bought a Prius which weighs 700 lbs more and consumes more resources.Why,because a car isn't just transportation.
A well made 2200lb car will get the same mpg as a Prius.Echos didn't exactly fly off the showroom floor.They were a lot cheaper-prior to the gas run ups that started in 2003-2003-than a Prius-.You could buy an Echo for $12000 or less.I doubt that any new Prius has ever sold for under $20000.
Unfortunately Toyota D/Ced the Echo and replaced it(sorta) with the Scions.The Scions are ok,but they are more expensive,heavier,and get poorer mpg than the Echo.The sell a lot better than the Echo because cars aren't just transportation.Still,a lot of folks would like a second shot at the Echo now that gasoline is premanently above $2.For $1000 you can add aftermarket wheels and a better sound system to an Echo.It would still be cheaper and lighter than any Scion.
The Prius and the HCH are complicated,expensive little cars~$25000.They aren't the answer for folks who really need a reliable,economical low cost vehicle.The Echo was.The Korean manufacturers are making decent inexpensive little cars,but their mpg in general isn't in the Toyota-Honda ballpark.The Korean Aveo is a good example-cheap,ok car,but the mpg isn't much better than a 4 cyl Accord despite being a lot smaller and lighter.
I wish Toyota would bring back the Echo.Maybe Honda is going to bring us a car that is smaller,lighter, and cheaper than a Civic.
Thanks.Charlie

Old 11-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ReWhy didn't he buy an Echo-same mpg-half the price.

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Maybe Honda is going to bring us a car that is smaller,lighter, and cheaper than a Civic.
Thanks.Charlie
http://fitfreak.net/

Old 11-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Re: ReWhy didn't he buy an Echo-same mpg-half the price.

WOW ! That Honda Fit is an awsome looking car and it coming to North America in the Spring of '06?
Originally Posted by http://fitfreak.net
Packed with more usable space than a Civic and even more load capacity with the rear seats folded down, it makes some station wagons seem small.
Originally Posted by http://fitfreak.net
Honda offers two fuel efficient engines that provide Hybrid like economy, the 1.3L i-DSI (58 mpg) and the 1.5L Vtec (48 mpg).

Old 11-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yep. The Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris are the up and coming cars that will define and compete in the minicompact class in the US.

Oh yeahh. The Ford Focus and GM Cobalt will be the patriotic alternatives.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:25 AM

Hi Lkewin:

___The FE figures you are reporting could be from any number of Euro or Jap 10/15 test cycles which usually overstate the EPA by a good margin (if you can believe that!) and are based on imperial gallons, not US gallons. From what is being reported over at ToV, the US Fit with the 1.5 will be rated at a sub-par 32/37 mpg. If this is true, you may as well write the ****ed thing off as the Aveo w/ a stick is almost as efficient and will be thousands of $’s less. It is one thing to pay a $3,000 + premium for a hybrid – tax incentives. It is another to pay a $3,000 premium for a B-Class sub-compact vs. another B-Class subcompact with almost the same FE capability. The Fit is a total waste of everyone’s time if those FE figures posted are accurate …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-16-2005, 02:04 PM

Xcel,

Europe thinks otherwise regarding the Honda Fit (I think they call it the Jazz), where it is a huge hit in both diesel and petrol forms.

I'm not sure the same non-diesel motors are being used, though.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:55 PM

Hi EricGo:

___When you can purchase a much larger Corolla w/ even higher FE for maybe $1,000 more, what do you think the American car buyer is going to do? It is one thing to sacrifice size for FE but it is another thing all together to sacrifice both SIZE AND FE! The rumor of recent months is that the Fit will come ashore in the $13,500 - $15,000 range. Aveo like size, Aveo like FE, and $3,000 more $’s? There are those that enjoy Honda’s for any number of reasons (me) but there is a point when price vs. function meets the road and you have to say “not a chance in hades” … How about an 06 Accord LX w/ a stick for ~ $17.5K? Far safer, much larger, and with a 26/34 EPA. Do the math. The Fit with a hypermiler might be worth 51 - 52 if the 32/37 is its actual vs. that Accord at 48 - 49 w/ a stick from its 26/34? All around airbags, much much larger automobile, and a much safer car all around for $3,000 more is where the rubber meets the road.

___If it were EPA rated 40/47 or so, then you have a case to justify the higher price. Not at 32/37 however

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: Slowing terrorism down with a hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands