Should I fix my front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Should I fix my front bumper?

I don't know if anyone remembers me posting about hitting a small post in April so here is a link about what happened. https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-day.6943.html
We decided to try to get the black plastic back where it was supposed to be. Which worked up till a few weeks ago when my husband hit a cat! The cat was lodged up inside the wheel well. It was dark outside and since I don't usually drive in the dark we didn't even have a flashlight. We were out in the hills of Nebraska about an hour from my parents house and so we ended up having to cut the black lining out. So now there is a white thing showing, the Toyota dealer said it is the washer fluid container. We asked them about getting the black liner replaced and he said they couldn't do it because a small corner of the bumper is missing. It is not even noticable from the front and barely noticable from the side. Then he told me that the cost around $800 and come unpainted. That doesn't even include the cost of the black liner. I'm not sure if I should just leave it the way it is or find a junk yard or maybe try to turn it into my insurance company. I think we have a $500 deductible. What would you do if you were in the same situation?

Crystal

Old 11-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I fix my front bumper?

How about a patch made out of fiberglass. Without seeing what everything looks like, it seems a patch could easily be made and then painted black.

A body shop should be able to do it. I wouldnt think toyota needs to be involved at all. If its what I think it is, its simply a wheel well liner to keep the road crud and water out of the engine compartment.

good luck

Tony

Old 11-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Should I fix my front bumper?

Originally Posted by bluefrog311
. . . so we ended up having to cut the black lining out. So now there is a white thing showing, the Toyota dealer said it is the washer fluid container. We asked them about getting the black liner replaced and he said they couldn't do it because a small corner of the bumper is missing. It is not even noticable from the front and barely noticable from the side. Then he told me that the cost around $800 and come unpainted. That doesn't even include the cost of the black liner. I'm not sure if I should just leave it the way it is or find a junk yard or maybe try to turn it into my insurance company. I think we have a $500 deductible. What would you do if you were in the same situation?
First call the insurance company and ask about your road hazard coverage and do the math.

If possible, you might post some photos to show what needs to be done.

Also, are you' all 'run 'em till the wheels fall off' or plan to 'trade-up the technology.' If you think you might go with a TCH, it probably makes sense to let the dealer do it. If not, it becomes a question of how comfortable you are with 'sweat equity' and what sort of repair facilities you have at home.

I'm pretty frugal so I'd start hanging out in Ebay and checking the 'usual suspects.' Find someone who is parting out a simular Prius that has been rear-ended and wait. The rule of thumb is "good, fast, cheap - pick two of three."

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson