Running out of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast
Red face Running out of Gas

Has anyone else ran their Prius out of gas yet?

I know. It sounds stupid. And believe me, at the time I felt pretty stupid. But the book says that there's 3 gallons left when the flasher starts, (There's not) and the salesman thought it was worth pointing out that there was a lot of range left after the thing said empty.

I squeezed out 20 more miles after the flasher started before the ICE gave it up and died. I was going down a straight controlled access highway at 70 miles per hour. Ironically, the iPod was blasting "Bad to the Bone" in my ears at the time. (grin)

Before I could get to an exit and very shortly after the ICE died, I entered a construction zone with no place to pull over. I had to continue on electric, then the exit was an uphill run to the stop sign. There were no stations at the exit either, though signs pointed both directions stating there would be one in 1.2 miles. I turned right to keep from crossing traffic and drove some uphill, then downhill for 3/4 mile before pulling over. As far as I could see there was no businesses at all. The battery charge indicator was on its last line. I turned the car off, then experimentally pressed the start button. The ICE came to life. After waiting for traffic to clear the intersection, I U-turned back onto the highway heading in the other direction. As I topped the hill, the ICE gave up again. I coasted over the top and down the other side until I couldn't go anymore. I then tried the off/on again trick and got the ICE again. I kept going, but lost the ICE in about 30 seconds. It was just enough to coast into a gas station next to a pump.

I paid $3.699, the highest I had seen on the trip, but I filled it to the top anyway. It took 11 gallons and couldn't hold anymore. The ICE had the battery topped off again in no time. 10 minutes maybe.

Everything is back to normal except for the "check engine" light. The incident was on Sunday. The light is still on. Is there a way for me to reset it? I've still got 3500 miles to the next service interval. I hope it doesn't stay on the whole time.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:37 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Running out of Gas

Hi,

I've run out of gas about three dozen times as part of my fuel studies. But in my case, I always had a 1 gallon, spare can, and in Huntsville. The miles on flash ranged from:
  • average 60+ miles, city speeds
  • minimum 29 miles, once
  • maximum, first time, 130+ miles, only first time
After three starts, your warning light will go out but the error code will remain in the control computer. That can be cleared by some scanners or by disconnecting the 12 VDC battery ground for about 5 minutes. There have been reports that running out of gas might be treated by the service center as a warranty risking event.

The good news is the traction battery keeps working but not with much range. But too many failed, restart attempts can latch a code which requires a tow. You have avoided that problem.

When running out of gas:
  • reduce speed - target 20 mph for maximum range
  • minimize electrical loads - turn off optional loads, especially AC
  • avoid draining battery flat - requires not only a tow but the battery charger of which there is only one or two that has to be shipped to dealer
When I see 'flash', I fill up as part of that trip or pickup the 1 gallon gas can at the house. Knowing I have battery backup, I can shop for a little better price and often gas just a half mile from the interstate will be a little cheaper.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Running out of Gas

Fuel studies? Tell me more ...

Yeah, I don't think it'll happen again. It was a bit of a shock to discover that the run time after 'flash' starts was only a little over 20 miles. At the time, I was already looking for an exit with gas and thinking that I better not risk it for more than another 10 miles.

It seems ironic that I'd run out of gas in a car that gets over 500 miles on a single 11 gallon tank. The last time I ran out of gas was in 1970. I was driving a new Dodge Superbee, that got 12 miles to the gallon all the time, and overlooked the status of the gas gauge before setting off for 3 miles of back road. I was on a date with my favorite girl and discovered the problem before the tank run dry, so I pointed us back to the nearest service station. The car sputtered out of gas within a block of the station and we coasted in beside the pump with my foot holding the clutch in and no power steering. My girlfriend thought it was pretty irresponsible of me, but she eventually forgave me and became my wife.

It has been at least 5 starts since the incident and the light is still on. I'll give it the rest of the week. That will be at least 4 more starts. If I disconnect the 12v battery terminal, all of the trip info will be deleted too, wont it? Small price to pay, I guess. There may be a fuse on the computer circuit that would accomplish the same. I haven't looked.

Funny thing is, after paying $3.699 after running out of gas, I came upon a station within about 15 miles that had it at $3.449 gal. I haven't seen anywhere that low since.

Thanks Bob.

Herb

Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Engineering first

Hi,

On the fuel studies, most of that finished up last year. Search the forums and I think you'll find the threads and charts. Really not much has changed since then. I've had more exposure to ethanol but nothing remarkable.

As for the error light, perhaps you might take it by an Autozone or car parts place and see if they can 'read it out.' I'm also told there is a trick that can flash out the codes but I've not done it myself. I have a Graham scanner and can read them out directly.

Your code has me scratching my head so I'd prefer to have it read out before clearing. If it comes back after the battery clearing, it does need reading out.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

You can purchase a Scangauge II and reset the codes yourself. You can also read any codes that are set.
Bonus, a Scangauge II can be set up to display up to four "gauges" full time, out of a choice of 20 something. Mine is stuck on the dash between the steering wheel and the MFD. It plugs into the OBDII port, just under the steering wheel on the right.
The Scangauge II can also be used as a "trip meter", giving you time to destination, fuel to destination, etc. etc.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks David! I checked it out and I like it. I think I'm going to get me one.

http://www.scangauge.com/

What do you think about the Auterra A-500?

http://www.amazon.com/Auterra-DashDy...d=PWS6AP3FIRKG

Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Auterra is more than twice the price of the Scangauge II. You can get a Scangauge II from the Priuschat store for about $150 delivered in the US.
The folks there at Priuschat also have codes to display some of the CANBUSS codes, things such as battery current, voltage, inverter temp., stuff like that. Note that you can display both the 12V system voltage and the "traction battery" voltage. I liked the Scanguage so much I bought two! They can both be run allowing you to have up to eight gauges (as long as the codes don't clash).

My first Scangauge displays:
12V system voltage----------Coolant temp (for when I block the grills)
Engine RPM-------------------Fuel use (l/hr)

I run this setup most of the time. I haven't programmed the new Scangauge yet for the other parameters, but I will probably put in:
Battery current---------------Battery voltage
Inverter temp-----------------State of charge (%)

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks David. I'm looking into it. I'll keep you posted. If I buy it at Priuschat, there's a couple of other things I want to get as well. Like the ProClip for my iPod Classic and the DICE unit. I'd also like to get those clear floor mats before old man Winter makes his entrance here in Michigan.

I need to find the perfect street corner.

"Spare change? ... Ya got'ny ... spare change?"

LOL