Rooftop Carriers (pods) and the Prius

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Rooftop Carriers (pods) and the Prius

Hi-

I am new to your site, and I've been avidly reading about the Prius. I actually went to Toyota to look at the Highlander Hybrid, but am strongly leaning towards the Prius.

We are long-time Honda enthusiasts- we have 2 now- a 2004 Accord and a 2004 Odyssey. I am very tired of driving a minivan, and feel so wasteful as I am alone in it the majority of the time. My eldest is going off to college, and not in the car with me very often at all. And I no longer do as much car-pooling now that my kids are older- fewer "playdates", etc.

SO, a Prius is a big change....but I love it. The main issue that I am having is a need for more cargo space on occasion. So I began to think of a pod carrier, though I don't think I've ever seen one on a Prius.

Both Thule and Yakima claim to have carriers that fit. I figured someone on here must have experience with this. Does the hatch hit the carrier when you open it? If you use one, what model did you pick?

Thanks so much-
Marea

Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Rooftop Carriers (pods) and the Prius

There are at least two vendors who make a 2" receiver hitch that goes on the back. Usually folks use it for bicycle racks but there are extended platforms. Although not 'official', I have a 1500 lb capacity, light-weight, folding trailer that I use with my NHW11. This gives me an 'in town' capability to haul off trash and pickup small plywood and other oversized loads.

Although there is no 'tow' rating, near as I can tell, the Prius can handle a light-weight trailer load at speeds under 55 mph. This ensures no excessive loading and minimizes braking requirements.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

My husband was thinking a small trailer might work....

What is "NHW11"?

Can you give me the names of the companies who make the trailer that you have?

Thanks!
Marea

Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by caper37
Thanks for the reply, Bob.

My husband was thinking a small trailer might work....

What is "NHW11"?

Can you give me the names of the companies who make the trailer that you have?
The "NHW11" is the model number for the 2001-2003 Prius. The more recent ones are NHW20.

I bought my trailer from Harbor Freight and 'some assembly is required.' However I had been looking at Home Depot, Lowes and Costco who have similar trailers and some already assembled.

If you do go self-assembly, get a couple of tubes of 'lock-tight', a thread sealer for the bolts and nuts.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for you help, Bob.

I test drove one yesterday and liked it a lot.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

I use a Yakima Roof rack with a 16 cu ft Skybox that I got for my Camry Hybrid, and it works out slick for carrying skiis to the slopes. I mounted it offset to the right to avoid the antennae, and just forward enough to use the hatch. I don't have the fairing, but it doesn't seem that noisy to me! I also have a Tow bar like Bob mentioned for using the bike rack I currently use for my F-150 hitch.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Also, be aware the Prius can hold a LOT of stuff. You can get 14' long narrow things in there and close the hatch. You can even transport a desk! More importantly, for us techno. geeks, you can get a 43" flatscreen TV inside. One place to get a receiver hitch is Coastal tech.