re-circulate air flow as default?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default re-circulate air flow as default?

I hate smelly "other type" of fumes of others cars/trucks, etc. I want to leave the "re-circulate air" on all the time. Is this a problem for air flow to battery? or other problems? Info appreciated as to how to do this except for beeping it every time-- I smell really bad odors from other cars coming into my PRIUS 05' Mr Bosox!

Old 12-01-2005, 07:27 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: re-circulate air flow as default?

Originally Posted by Mr Bosox
I hate smelly "other type" of fumes of others cars/trucks, etc. I want to leave the "re-circulate air" on all the time. Is this a problem for air flow to battery? or other problems? Info appreciated as to how to do this except for beeping it every time-- I smell really bad odors from other cars coming into my PRIUS 05' Mr Bosox!
The only problem I can see would be that your windows would be fogged up a lot in cool damp weather and you would be forced to use the A/C a lot.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Auto manufacturers do not recommend leaving a vehicle in recirc all the time. In fact in the winter it is best to never have them in recirc because humidity is generally highter and that compounds the fact that you are exhaling a lot of vapor into the air. So, that makes it very difficult to keep the windows clear of fog.

Apparently you are driving in a dense, stop-and-go environment without a lot of fresh air available and a lot of exhaust fumes. But the truth of the matter is that the outside air is lower in humidity than the interior air of your vehicle and that will help to keep your windows clear easier than recirculated interior air. I suppose it is better to endure some exhaust fumes than to not be able to see our your windshield.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:46 AM
04 prius 350,000km

'thought cabin free AC filter out the exhaust.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is a cabin air filter that traps pollen, dust, leaves and bugs but gasses are free to pass through.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 PM
04 prius 350,000km

**** so if i sit behind a prius the air will be fresh, but behind a suv i'm screwed!?!! no fair!

Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
**** so if i sit behind a prius the air will be fresh, but behind a suv i'm screwed!?!! no fair!
I hope you are being sarcastic. If you sit behind a vehicle and you can smell distinct fumes, that vehicle is obviously out of adjustment and running rich, or the engine is cold and not yet warmed up.

Once again, I point out that it is not wise to start out with recirc on. However, after driving the car for a few minutes and you have heat, putting the vehicle in reciric for limited periods of time, such as when at a light or when passing by a feed lot, that works out ok. Anyway, the recirc button is on the steering wheel. It is no harder to use than the radio volume buttons.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:31 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!

I seem to remember that Ralph nader made sure that there is really no 100% recirc feature on a car any more. Nor is there a real off position. Some fresh air is always coming into the vehicle, though greatly reduced when in the recir mode. We run recir pretty much all summer here in Houston from May- Sept. with no ill effects,