racing prius??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 06:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

isnt a supercharge a lil smaller than a turbo? so if one were to choose supercharger vs. turbo for a prius...what would you choose?

Old 07-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

flare,
I'm not sure that the atkinised cycle of the prius engine would allow for either...but supercharge would work best imho.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 07-01-2004, 06:35 AM

oh what does the atkinson cycle do that makes this impossible?

Old 07-01-2004, 04:29 PM

flare,
Well, it doesnt make it impossible, it just works so differently that it would be harder. The atkinsonized Prius engine doesnt use a throttle body to controll the amount of power. It uses valve overlap on the intake/compression stroke and it changes the amount of air that is actually compressed in the cylinder...less air=less fuel=less power. Hope you understood that.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 07-02-2004, 05:36 AM

mmm... so how could you make a supercharger/turbo work?

Old 07-02-2004, 04:56 PM

flare,
You would have to remap the controls for the valve timing, a switch to normal cams w/ a TB would also be an option (the first would require a large amount of R&D, the second would require good friends at TRD)
Cheers,
Steven

Old 07-02-2004, 10:23 PM

What's TB and R&D?

Old 07-03-2004, 05:41 AM

Hi Flare:

___TB I am assuming is Steve’s acronym for turbo. R&D is Research and Development.

___The item that pisses me off about this overpriced science project is that you could place the same engine in an Echo and it would eat the Prius alive and get just as good of mileage for 1/3 - 1/2 the price. I don’t like the exterior shape of the Echo nor its centrally located instrument cluster but it is a very lightweight and a very cost effective commuter with most of the same suspension and braking HW as well as the same ICE as that of the regular Prius (minus the modded intake, SULEV rated CAT(s), PZEV evaporative gear, and the pack/MG Sets/CVT and controllers of course) or the modified 1.5 L racing version.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-03-2004, 08:25 AM

Flare and Wayne,
TB is the acronym for Throttle Body. The thing I find odd about the atkinised Prius engine is that it only puts out 76(?) bhp while the same engine minus valving get 108 bhp. Odd
Cheers,
Steven

Old 07-03-2004, 08:55 AM

Hi Steve:

___Sorry about the TB acronym. Even I am having a hard time keeping up with terms like SI ICE, i-DSI, and iCDTi

___As for the standard and racing Prius, if the public only knew that that all the (2) Prius motors consist of is a modified Echo ICE to begin with. Prius I was out first using the same block however … Why not place the atkinsonized PZEV motor w/ the Echo’s 5-speed stick in an Echo and watch it get 45 mpg city/55 highway and do the 0 - 60 dash faster then the base Prius with its Hybrid drivetrain! And for $10 - $15K less initial cost I might add. There would be a heck of a lot more Echo’s selling at ½ the cost of a Prius to clean up the environment.

___Honda isn’t any better with the Civic HX/DX/LX/EX’s much more powerful 1.7 L ICE’s running shorter final and fifth gear ratios then the HCH. It just ticks me off that both manufacturers are sacrificing fuel economy on the much less expensive models so as to not embarrass the Hybrid’s costing as much as $15,000 + more dollars!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: racing prius??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands