Prius over a curb

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Default Prius over a curb

I have been invited to present on the Prius in the morning and was just told that they want to drive it into the gym. I'll have to navigate a standard US curb. Has anyone driven a Prius over a curb (intentionally) without bottoming out?

Can anyone think of some ramps or something to help out (maybe at walmart or autozone)? I'm not concerned about getting the front wheels over, my main concern is getting the rear wheels over without bottoming out the under carriage in some way half way from the front wheels to the back.

Thoughts, Suggestions?

PS: Sorry for cross-posting, I needed a wide exposure.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Prius over a curb

Originally Posted by Dan
I have been invited to present on the Prius in the morning and was just told that they want to drive it into the gym. I'll have to navigate a standard US curb. Has anyone driven a Prius over a curb (intentionally) without bottoming out?
. . .

Thoughts, Suggestions?
Look for a ramp walkway and see if you can drive up with one side on the ramp part as far away from the far set of wheels and curb. Having just a little ramp will help a lot. Then there is the parallel park method:

1) at an angle to ramp/walkway, backup so one side of the car gets "up" on the curb but as close as possible and stop

2) pull forward and turn sharply so the other wheel goes up the ramp part and on the curb

Do it slow with a helper and you should avoid 'high center.'

Repeat in opposite order when done.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Here's the problem as I see it:

making a long enough ramp to elevate the back axle (and under-carriage).

I like Bob's answer but not sure how to make a stable enough ramp to handle the sideways stress.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Engineering first

My approach comes from the days when I had a VW MicroBus and needed to change the oil. The cheapest lift was to drive partly on someones driveway so one wheel was on the curb side and the other was on the street. This made a great space under the engine for changing oil or adjusting valve backlash. But I've made the assumption there is a 'handicap' walkway or sidewalk with a slope you can use to essentially 'parallel park' up the curb. Of course there may be signs and water hydrants that make this impractical but it was all I could come up with quickly.

Can you give the coordinates or address of this facility? An aerial view might give a clue.

The other option is to use bags of ice. Get some big bags of ice that you can lay down to make two ramps up the curb. Take them out of the cooler; lay them down; cover them with flattend cardboard boxes; drive up; put them back in the cooler. When returning to the street, do the same. Once on the street, empty the ice in the curb and head home. Unlike sandbags or gravel, you won't have to deal with disposal later.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-24-2008 at 12:31 PM.