Prius HID + foglamps aftermarket upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius HID + foglamps aftermarket upgrade

Good link Bob, thanks. It is definitely pricey to do it right.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Question Re: Prius lights

Speaking of lights, what's the deal with daytime running lights on the Prius? My insurance company (progressive) added them automatically when I selected the '06 Prius, but mine (pkg #5) doesn't seem to have them. Is it supposed to? The ins. co. website seemed to know that the FEH does not come with them, but it seemed to assume that all Prii do. Does anyone else have DRL on their '06 Prius? Is it something that can be added (by, for example, the dealer throwing a switch somewhere)?

Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius lights

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
Speaking of lights, what's the deal with daytime running lights on the Prius? My insurance company (progressive) added them automatically when I selected the '06 Prius, but mine (pkg #5) doesn't seem to have them. Is it supposed to? The ins. co. website seemed to know that the FEH does not come with them, but it seemed to assume that all Prii do. Does anyone else have DRL on their '06 Prius? Is it something that can be added (by, for example, the dealer throwing a switch somewhere)?
(Progressive) Lie, or tell them you drive with them on all the time lol

I don't know where people think the HID's are not bright enough... I was told by the dealer that they were not supposed to cause a glare for other drivers, also check to see how the reflectors are aimed.. The fog lights are not meant to be bright they are supposed to illuminate the road way under the exsisting head lights and have a dullness to them again the dealer stated that was for driving in fog.

I test drove an 05 with halogen headlights they where not properly aimed and everyone would flash thier lights as I was clearly blinding them..

I guess not everything is what others want to hear (they may have been trying to make excuses) But I do not have any real complaints .

Old 01-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

I guess we'll find out soon. Picking up our new silver Prius pkg. 7 tomorrow. I may even use the navigator to help me find my way out of Portland.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:18 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by Bob259
The wiring isn't any heavier for HID's. The voltage comes from the ballast you use to run them. The wife has the HID's on her Prius and never had them before... she loves them and can see now why I loved them so much when I had them and miss them so much now. They are NOT an option on the Highalnder Hybrid So I am looking at an aftermarket company that adds projectors to the existing housing. http://www.illusion-lighting.com/
For what it's worth, HID headlight systems usually require a minimum of 30 amps circuit capability including wiring, fuse, and relay. The ballasts will draw close to 30 amps on the battery side when you first turn the headlights on but drops quite a bit a short time thereafter.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
Canadian models come with DRL and auto headlights, but we have NO HID option up here. In the Prius the daytime running lights are operated by a special module, I don't know if it's possible to add that easily or not, but it's more than just a settable option, AFIK.

You can effectively have your lights on all the time by simply leaving them on. When you open the driver's door they will shut off. Ghetto, but functional.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 AM
World's First Hybrid

Also keep in mind that DRL's operate on the high-beam circuit and the power is usually reduced by 1/2 (65W) to conserve some fuel and bulb life. If you leave your low beams on all the time (110W), expect a slight MPG hit plus you would probably be replacing your halogen low beams about twice a year instead of once. But, its probably worth it for safety's sake.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

Once a year? I have halogens on our Honda an I've never replaced them. Do the Prius halogens have a real short lifespan?

Old 01-21-2006, 08:44 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by BeGreen
Once a year? I have halogens on our Honda an I've never replaced them. Do the Prius halogens have a real short lifespan?
I guess it depends on how often you use them and the brand. Seems like I'm always replacing a headlight every year. But, I had a 92 accord and I only had to replace one of the side marker lights once, and the headlights about once a year. The older the headlight, the more likely it will fail when you need it the most, at night..

Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BeGreen
We really don't like being forced to buy a lot of options that are no use to us, but want brighter lighting for my wife. So we are thinking of getting a package #4 and then adding foglamps and upgrading the headlamps.

Can one do an aftermarket upgrad to xenon HID headlamps for the Prius, or does this have to be done by the factory so that the wiring is upgraded, etc. Is the wiring for the foglamps already in place even if the car was ordered without this option?

Thanks, Will

PS:
Does anyone else not like the tiered pricing scheme? We almost went with the Civic it bugged us so much .
I wanted the HID lights too, so I got the #5 in 04, and had what I did not want omitted at the time of purchase dropped the price down a cpl of thousand $$

I hate the cream int though, wish they had drk grey..
But Im looking into whats coming out in 07 as I will trade mine in when it hits 70,000 tat way The car is still worth somthing as a trade in and will have 5,000 left on the warr.

Quick Reply: Prius HID + foglamps aftermarket upgrade

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands