Prius audio "Aux" input plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Prius audio "Aux" input plug

Hi all,

Some of you might remember some time ago I posted about how my XM satellite radio plug and play worked normally through the FM radio in my 06 Prius, but when running it through the AUX input plug in the center console there was hiss, whines,and whistles. Well, I just had my car in for its 30,000 mile service, and the service manager told me there is a service notice dealing with that aux input plug, something about a new part that has some kind of filter, he said. He ordered this new part, and after it gets installed, I'll post again to say if it made any difference.

Paula

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius audio "Aux" input plug

Originally Posted by SDcomuter
Hi all,

Some of you might remember some time ago I posted about how my XM satellite radio plug and play worked normally through the FM radio in my 06 Prius, but when running it through the AUX input plug in the center console there was hiss, whines,and whistles. Well, I just had my car in for its 30,000 mile service, and the service manager told me there is a service notice dealing with that aux input plug, something about a new part that has some kind of filter, he said. He ordered this new part, and after it gets installed, I'll post again to say if it made any difference.

Paula
I noticed the hiss when I had my iPod plugged in, but also had it on the charger. Disconnecting the charger from that plug solved the problem. Hmm. Wonder if the filter would work for that situation.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SDcomuter
Hi all,

Paula
It's called a Ground Loop. I dealt with this extensively while hooking up GPS/Audio/CB ..etc on my motorcycles.

Simple solution is the audio isolation transformer.

About 6 or 7 dollars in parts and a soldering iron will do the trick for you. Did I mention you can do this without modifying the car.

1. Buy new Audio cord.
2. Buy cheap 1:1 isolation transformer from Radio Shack.
3. Cut Cord
4. Solder in Transformer.
5. Button up the Cord however you see fit.
6. Use.

1:1 isolation transformer is Radio Shack: Model: 273-1374

Simple easy solution.

Steve
08 Prius

Old 03-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by centrider
I noticed the hiss when I had my iPod plugged in, but also had it on the charger. Disconnecting the charger from that plug solved the problem. Hmm. Wonder if the filter would work for that situation.
I had the same problem with my ipod touch when it was charging. Toyota service called me today and said they had a fix which has already been described in an earlier post. I'm taking my prius in on Tuesday for the repair and will let you know how it works.

The service department also indicated that there was a kit to solve this problem it was found in the 2007 prius but not fixed with the new model. So if you are having this problem take you car into Toyota for the fix.

thanks

Old 03-21-2008, 01:19 PM
SPL

The Camry Hybrid (TCH) had the same problem, caused by a ground loop if one powered the external device from the car's 12-V power at the same time as playing a signal through the AUX socket. I have posted the relevant TSB for all the Toyota vehicles (look for CDN_TSB2810) in the TCH forum thread "List of pertinent TSB's."

Stan

Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghgarcia
I had the same problem with my ipod touch when it was charging. Toyota service called me today and said they had a fix which has already been described in an earlier post. I'm taking my prius in on Tuesday for the repair and will let you know how it works.

The service department also indicated that there was a kit to solve this problem it was found in the 2007 prius but not fixed with the new model. So if you are having this problem take you car into Toyota for the fix.

thanks
Noticed that hum was absent this time around, tho can't say if it was because I accidently turned the male connection over or Toyota instituted the fix as I just had the Prius in for service earlier in the month.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by centrider
Noticed that hum was absent this time around, tho can't say if it was because I accidently turned the male connection over or Toyota instituted the fix as I just had the Prius in for service earlier in the month.
My prius is brand new and Toyota indicated that the fix has not been installed on any new models. In other words you will have to ask for the repair.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghgarcia
My prius is brand new and Toyota indicated that the fix has not been installed on any new models. In other words you will have to ask for the repair.

Thanks
Right. Mine is an '06, but I don't recall discussing the fix with the maintenance supervisor, or whatever his title is.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

The maintenance supervisor at my dealer was not aware of this problem until he contacted Toyota and found that there was a fix. I soon as they fix my car I'll post the result and kit number if it's available.

thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

I just picked up my Prius from Toyota service and now my noise problem has been solved. Looking at my invoice(which was free since this was warranty work) indicated that the tech performed TSB # AU007-07 per Eric Corter at the SET Tech assistance line from Toyota. They installed the following Parts:

1 86190-48010 Adapter Assy, Ste
1 86237-33010 Wire, Condenser
1 86516-33020 Condenser

Anyway my Ipod works correctly. Hope this information helps.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Prius audio "Aux" input plug

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands