Oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Oil changes

I used to do all maint myself on all my vehicle pre 1990...

Now I just go to the mobil lubes takes 10 min..

I recently faced a new delima, they wont change the oil on my Prius.
"Mgr said another location shorted out a Honda while removing the oil filter thus you have to go to the dealer".

So now it costs 2 1/2 times what it did at mobile lube...

Anyone else have this problem???

Old 01-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Oil changes

Nah, I still do it myself. Other than the low ground clearance (I bought a good jack and stands), its very easy to do and eliminates the time (and gas) to drive to the lube service.

JeffD

Old 01-22-2006, 07:10 PM
'lectronimo

Check with dealers in your area to see if any offer a "quick lube service". Most dealers in my area offer such a service, at prices competitive to the quick lube shops.

GL

Last edited by 'lectronimo; 01-23-2006 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Oil changes

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
. .
"Mgr said another location shorted out a Honda while removing the oil filter thus you have to go to the dealer".
. . .
No but then I've done my own oil change. Still, this is something even the drive-through places should handle. But it sounds like an 'urban legend' developing as an excuse to turn down work. Your time is valuable so think about how much you want to invest in fixing this problem.

My recommendation is a 'complaint' letter with one sent to the corporate HQ and a copy to the owner of the local shop. It won't cost much and once dropped in the mail, the rest should be automatic. You might even get a coupon for a free change. Then pickup the phone book and call their competitors and ask them if they will service your hybrid. If they say "No", ask why and write two more letters. But I suspect you'll soon find someone who will do the work.

Once you do, get the service done and ask that the oil level be 3/4 ths full and/or 1/4 inch below the fill mark. If they do everything right, then you need to write three letters:

1) letter to the editor describing the good guys in contrast to the fools
2) praise letter to corporate HQ with copy of 'letter to editor'
3) copy of praise to local shop with copy of 'letter to editor'

Bob Wilson

Old 01-26-2006, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
I used to do all maint myself on all my vehicle pre 1990...

Now I just go to the mobil lubes takes 10 min..

So now it costs 2 1/2 times what it did at mobile lube...

So, why not do the oil chagne on the Prius yourself? It shouldn't be any bother and you get to have some familiarity with the vehicle. Any place that says something as stupid as above should go out of business. And it calls into questions how good they are at their work. If they think that you can "short out" a hybrid by changing its oil, then they are all washed up and I wouldn't let them touch my 20 year old Topaz.

No need for jack stands, just get a pair of wheel ramps and use them to get the ground clearance you need to get underneath the car to do an oil change. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast

i'd be careful of dealer express lube places. they put so much pressure on the people to be quick, that quality often suffers.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeromeP
No need for jack stands, just get a pair of wheel ramps and use them to get the ground clearance you need to get underneath the car to do an oil change. Good luck.
The wheel ramps I have won't work with my Prius. The front airdam/bumper rubs against them long before the tires actually get on the ramps. I'd be open to buying new ramps if they're significantly different enough that I won't have this problem. Otherwise it's just a normal jack for me! The ramps can then be used as wheel chucks.

Rick

Old 01-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by ender21
The wheel ramps I have won't work with my Prius. The front airdam/bumper rubs against them long before the tires actually get on the ramps. . . .

Rick
I had the same problem but used some scrap lumber as a pre-ramp, ramp. Still, I need to get a better solution welded up.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-27-2006, 03:26 AM

Darn it,

Changed the tires from 185.60.15 to 195.60.15 and the mileage dropped dropped 5 miles Im averaging 45 mpg..The reson for the size change was they did not have the correct tire size and I would have had to wait even longer. than the 3hrs I was already there.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:52 AM
Engineering Professor

JW,

Part of your drop in MPG is that your odometer (and speedometer) now read lower due to the larger circumference of the new tires. The revs/mile rating for the original Goodyear Integrety tires was 855. Find the Revs.mile rating for your new tires (its usually listed in the specs for each tire at tirerack.com). The percentage change tells you the percentage change due to this effect in your MPG. It is not real, only a change in calibration of your system.

Note that this means you had better be careful about speeding.

Jeffd

Quick Reply: Oil changes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands