Nice Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Nice Rims?

Just curious if anyone has replaced the stock rims with some chrome or anything? Wondering if this would actually look good or not.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nice Rims?

This is just my bias, but I have yet to see a car out there that looks good with aftermarket rims. The rims either look like the owner wants the car to be faster than it actually can be, or their taste in wheels is not appropriate to the vehicle they drive. In other words, most Prii that I see with non-factory wheels look kind of stupid.

The Prius factory wheels are very light, and have been optimized for FE. I wouldn't mess with Toyota's design just yet.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeromeP
This is just my bias, but I have yet to see a car out there that looks good with aftermarket rims. ....

I somewhat agree. But, we got a set of the cast ones from the Tirerack with our mounted snow tires and they look great (very close to the stock look) and are light.

Most people don't have an eye to see what the wheels will look like on their car all mounted, that's why the Tirerack's site, which lets you see the wheels on the car, is a great tool to see how they will either 'enhance' or 'detract' from your car's looks, but that said beauty is to the beholder.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

The European Prius (and maybe those in other markets as well) come with 16" rims (vs the NA 15" rims), that IMHO look much better. I wish we could get them here, even if only as optional accessories.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:16 AM

I want spinners.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:05 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!

I pulled the plastic ring off a Prius wheel and both my Wife and her friend liked the wheel with it on better. So back on it went. I really thought she would like the "normal" look better, but I guess she has adopted the different is better approach with this new knd of car! Before we purchased it she was talking chrome and bigger in the wheel department. I think she was afraid of how her friends would accept this new kind of car. But after rave reviews from here friends and a few strangers she has shown it to, I think she kind of likes itthe way it is.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:42 PM

The dealer offers a 16" & a 17" wheel where I purchased mine. 04 Pack #5 with leather omitted.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Nice Rims?

Originally Posted by jjryan
Just curious if anyone has replaced the stock rims with some chrome or anything? Wondering if this would actually look good or not.
I forgot where I saw it but someone fashioned wheel covers from pizza pans. To this engineer, it was plain (i.e., looked great). Nothing sticking out in the wind and a smooth surface. Personally, I prefer the enclosed wheel well look for less drag.

Now if we can just use the rear window defroster grid as an antenna and smooth the roof.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:39 AM
04 prius 350,000km

i think the spokes on the previous prius would look good on the new one. Spokes are nice.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:40 PM
MPG Tweaker

I miss the old "slot mags." lol