New member here

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default New member here

I Just picked up an 06 Prius this past weekend. It's my first Hybrid, so of coarse I had to look in here to see if there's more information that I've been missing out on. I've been lurking around for a few days as a guest and finally decided to sign up and get my first post out of the way.

This site seems to be the best place for information, so I thought I might ask. I bought a hybrid, "Now What?".

Old 01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned
Default Re: New member here

Now enjoy the savings in gas. LOL

Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Are you making fun of me? Is this what I am to expect of this site?

Old 01-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned

Not at all. I apologize for my poor shot at humor. It was kinda dumb for me to say that.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

So really, now what? The pollution here in Atlanta sure hasn't cleared up yet. Will I get a big hug from mother nature soon? Will chicks dig me? Will supermodels want me?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Actually, prepare for anger!! Many people get jealous of us hybrid drivers...What I don't understand is that they, too, can drive a hybrid. No one is preventing them from doing so. They shouldn't hate me for making a wise choice! I just like to promote them...

But in all seriousness, you will slowly realize what a great purchase you made, just remember that not everyone will want to share your joy!

Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned

Yes prepare to be the coolest person your family and friends know. I cant wait to get one.

Welcome to GH.com

Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owlmaster08
Actually, prepare for anger!!
Actually, I've seen some of that already. Why do you think that is?

Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by No Gas Man
Actually, I've seen some of that already. Why do you think that is?
I think a lot of it is "fear of the unknown." People don't understand that, basically, all a hybrid consists of is a device (motor/generator) that converts your cars kinetic energy into electrical potential energy for use at a later time. Normal cars just turn that kinetic enrgy into thermal energy (brakes), which is a total waste.

People don't know that this simple concept can work wonders. They instead get jealous that they don't have such a wonderful device at work for them and get angry.

It also may be a South Park episode. I havn't seen it, but apparently they make fun of hybrid drivers as stuck up and high egoed. It portray us as people who think we are superior to others. If everyone believes this, then it is obvious where the hatred comes from. I try not to reinforce the idea, what I try to do is say something like, "Hey, you should get a hybrid, they're sweet!" I don't go around saying, "So, how much gas did you burn today? 3 gallons? I only burned one gallon!"

Also, some people believe they can't afford hybrids. They believe that anyone with a hybrid is "rich." Hybrids have been out a while now though, so there are used hybrids out there that don't cost a ton. If you run the numbers realistically you will actually make back the increased price of a hybrid for some models over a 5 year period. Everyone has heard about the "consumer reports article" say the opposite, which reinforces the notion that hybrids are for the rich.

Sorry for the rambling, but it is not a clear cut issue from what I have seen. When I first heard of hybrid technology the "techie" side of me took interest. Once I learned of the gas saving side the "cheapie" side of me jumped on board too. I just assumed everyone would be as passionate as me about hybrids, but it is not the case.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Congratulations on your new Prius. "Now What?" you ask. Well how about a few threads on hypermiling, customising or how your Prius works? Part of the fun of driving a hybrid is seeing how good your mileage can really be with a little effort

Newbie needs suggestions to increase MPG

Need'n tips on HOW to increase my milage without creating ROAD RAGE

Hypermilers - Post SAFE High FE Driving Tips

Perhaps you want to customise your Prius?

Maybe some light reading on 34 Prius tips you may not know?

Or maybe more info on how the Prius Power Split Device works?

Quick Reply: New member here

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands