"new car" smell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default "new car" smell?

I have test driven a couple of new Prii in the past couple of weeks, as I am strongly considering one. The odor from the plastics and solvents was very strong in both cases, and yesterday I actually felt nauseous from it for a couple of hours after the drive, even though I opened the windows part way. I know it is stronger after being closed up during the day, with all the off-gassing of the plastics, but it kind of worries me, because I am (obviously) sensitive to chemical smells.

My question is how long did it take for the smell to go away? I had another Japanese vehicle I purchased new in 1999 that I sold after 6 months because it still had a strong chemical odor in it. I may actually have to buy a used Prius this time around which is unfortunate because I want a Touring model.

I also hope all of you with new vehicles of any make remember to keep it well-ventilated for awhile - it can't be healthy to breathe those fumes continuously.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "new car" smell?

Here comes the science:

pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/8020stuff.html

I guess it took about 6 months to fade from my 2001 Prius. If I leave the windows open in rain, I can now get "old car smell".

DAS

Old 02-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

My mother bought a new Hyundai last year -- the smell of the plastics outgassing was so bad to her that she called the dealer, which brought out an ozonator and put it in the car overnight. The next morning, they came and got the ozonator and her car no longer had the 'new car smell'. (The drawback is that it may have also damaged the foam in the seats and other materials that degrade after prolonged exposure to ozone-- but considering the relatively short time period and the absence of temperature extremes and long-term UV exposure, I don't think it would have aged things too badly.)

Although I didn't see the device myself, I'm sure it was no "Sharper Image" style device-- it was probably much like the kind by fire restoration services that really cranks out the O3.

If your dealership doesn't have such a device, it might be worth contacting one of those fire restoration places to see if they'll rent or lend one to you for that purpose.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

True ozone generators work wonders. Great idea on trying to rent one! (A good one starts around $400).

Old 02-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, those are interesting suggestions but I am not sure how the "ozonator" can stop the outgassing, which is an ongoing process with plastics, resins, glue, etc.

Anyone else know how long it took for their Prius to stop making the smell under normal conditions?

Old 02-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I did not notice when the smell went away .. personally, though, whenever I smell the "new car" smell, it reminds me of the time that I got the car and the car was indeed new .. and that is a nice feeling, at least, to me

Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 AM
Enthusiast

I'll bet the oxidizing effect of the ozone accelerated a lot of the outgassing. My mother hasn't mentioned that the smell ever came back... I suppose next chance I get I could ask her about it. But if ozonation weren't such an effective means of odor elimination, it wouldn't be such a popular choice of people in the odor removal business.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

I hope mine loses the new car smell soon; it has the usual plasticy smell along with a smell that can only be described as cow poo. I've looked through the whole car and as far as I can tell, no barnyard animals relieved themselves in it.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ha ha that was funny. Well, thanks for the input - I am still undecided on buying a clean used one or a new Touring and leaving the windows down for 6 months. Then again. there may really be something to the ozonator thing. Thanks for the tips.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Go out and get Klasse vinyl,rubber,leather and plastic cleaner. The Germans are particular about the car products they use. I had a bottle on hand and wiped down the dash and door panels. The rag took on a bluish tint....so I suppose I was removing some type of dressing that Toyota may have used. NO more smell! I also don't get any outgassing that gets all over the windows. I have only applied it once in my 7 months of ownership. I will apply again soon since the weather is warming and the car sits out all of the time. I used to use it on my other cars and found it to be a good product for the interior.

Quick Reply: "new car" smell?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands