Mileage Enhancer

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mileage Enhancer

The service tech at my local Toyota dealership told me that one of his customers ordered a part that plugs into the Prius and he now receives more than 70 mpg but could remember who the customer was to find out the details.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Mileage Enhancer

Originally Posted by dsusskind
The service tech at my local Toyota dealership told me that one of his customers ordered a part that plugs into the Prius and he now receives more than 70 mpg but could remember who the customer was to find out the details.

Does anyone know anything about this?
We really need more details but our Japanese friends have reported good results from using both a block heater and a transaxle heater. They report saving ~100 ml. per day which over time mounts up. But 70 MPG seems a little too optimistic.

I have both heater elements and after I get my control circuit built, will be able to test them in my NHW11 Prius. Not part of the standard heater configuration, my control circuit will provide thermostatic control versus the usual practice of timer operation. I'll be able to run them 24x7 with each heater set to a specific target temperature. I'll share my results.

The only other credible alternatives are the 'plug-in' efforts that use auxillary batteries and use the EV mode. However, this approach is more than a simple modification to the vehicle. You can get the EV mode modification which gives a short-distance capability, ~1-2 miles. However, this only defers ICE operation. You really need auxillary batteries with plug-in recharge capability.

Although not mentioned in the FAQ, one user runs a lower viscosity 0W20 oil instead of the 5W30. He consistently reports excellent mileage but I'm loath to recommend that approach UNLESS you also have an oil testing program. Running a thinner oil reduces engine viscosity losses but it can increase wear and an oil testing program is needed to determine if it works in your climate.

What mileage are you getting now? Are you in the database? Have you tried any of the FAQ techniques?

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-19-2006 at 11:27 PM.