Looking at a 2005 Prius - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 PM
MMH + Prius = Bliss
Default Looking at a 2005 Prius - Thoughts?

Began my Prius car shopping in earnest today by looking at used Prius vehicles in the Northern New Jersey area. While the dealers themselves left something to be desired, I did come across a possible find - a 2005 fully loaded Prius for $15,800 sticker. Currently has 32k miles.

I was shocked to see the vehicle in the condition that it was, it still had empty drink bottles in it from the previous owner, so I didn't make any purchases today, and the place is closed tomorrow so I have a few days here to ask a few questions.

I just test drove the vehicle today, and was engaged by the sales manager asking what it would take to drive off with the vehicle today - etc etc.. I said get the vehicle in a condition that was sellable, and make sure it's Toyota Certified Pre-owned and then we can talk.

So just looking for some thought: Anything in particular I should look out for with this year's vehicle? Any recalls, etc that I need to be aware of? For those that own a 2005, thoughts?

The vehicle itself was in fair condition, with scratches on the outside at places, and the inside had stains on the seating, so I'm figuring I can talk down the price even further, but looking at some other used car places, the sticker being what it is for a 2005 looked pretty good. Is this too much or just right?

Looking forward to (finally) joining the hybrid ranks. I was able to convince my wife to consider non-SUV vehicles, so I'm anxious to get started with one of the best!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking at a 2005 Prius - Thoughts?

The 2005 models had two TSBs (might even be recalls, I forget). One is the steering wheel and the other is the ECU. Make sure both have been done.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Engineering first

First use Kelly to check the Blue Book value. Since it is a 2005, there is some risk of the MFD problem that showed up in the 2004 cars. You can check that by using the touch screen to test the audio and other setups. Check the message archive here and over in PriusChat.com.

With used cars, I prefer worn tires and replacing them with something much better within a year. However, you live in NJ and you may need a vehicle inspection sticker. If they are worn Goodyear Integrity tires, I would use that for a lower purchase price and plan on getting some Sumitomo low-rolling resistance tires. I'm using T4 but I've heard good things about the H4.

In Oct. 2005, I bought a used, 2003 Prius with 49,000 miles for $17,300, about a $1,000 below Blue Book value. I was quite happy and never looked back. So I think you maybe on a good find.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 12-15-2007, 08:05 PM
MMH + Prius = Bliss

Thanks for the input, Bob and Tideland. I am now pouring through the priuschat.com for more information, so I'll be a little more informed when I go back on Tuesday.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

The advice the others have given you is good, especially the PC search. The only thing I'll add is that I have a 2005 with a little over 36K miles. I love it. The car should serve you well.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I hope I don't need to tell you that if the car was in as poor a condition appearance-wise as you state, the owner may have also been the type to neglect maintenance. Ask to see the service rec's - my guess is you won't get them. It is no savings in the long run buying a car that has been poorly maintained, especially with regard to oil change frequency. Even at 32K if the oil has only been changed a couple times, that hard working little squirrel may be showing signs of wear.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:42 AM
MMH + Prius = Bliss

Yep. When I asked about service records, none could be obtained because "They never did service at this location"...

Doesn't matter.. the dealer pulled a bait and switch, backing out of the deal which I think is for the better for us in the long run. The more I look at other cars around the country, the more I realize that I can get one that doesn't look like it was one of the cars used in the Italian Job and not pay an arm and a leg for it.